Fall was always my favorite time of the year in NY. After hibernating in the summer, I would start my fall with soup recipes. My favorite was always the sweet potato soup with a heavy dose of ginger.
Even tough I am in Florida now, I haven’t lost my affinity for soups. So, when Sunday Supper Movement came up with “warming trends” recipes, I jumped at the chance to make a hearty and heartwarming sweet potato soup recipe. Sunday nights are for families coming together over the dinner table, so, why not make a feast.
Sunday Supper Movement is all about bringing families together to the dinner table for Sunday Supper. It is a chance for families to reconnect and prepare for the upcoming week.
This is a healthy sweet potato soup recipe because I wanted to keep it vegan. I love creamy soups but they are not necessary healthy. I added almond milk to this recipe instead of vegetable stock.
The star of this recipe surprised me. I thought the sweet potatoes would be the center of attention when it came to flavor. However, it is the dried Rosemary that stole the show! Wow! They packed quite a huge flavor punch to this soup because I used 1 Tbsp of it. Talk about warming trends, it warmed me to the soul.
To give it a little nutty flavor, I added hazelnut to the recipe. Green apples gave it a hint of sourness. To bring down the sweetness of the sweet potato, I added one turnip.
What is your favorite Sunday Supper meal?
How To Make Easy Sweet Potato Soup
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Peel and cut 2 sweet potatoes into large chunks and place them in a baking dish
2) Peel and cut 1 turnip into large chunks. Put it with the sweet potatoes
3) Add 1/4 tsp of salt
4) Add 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
5) Add 1/4 tsp of whole peppercorns
6) Add 3 small chunks of ginger to the mixture. Remove the skin.
7) Add 1 clove of garlic. Cut it into thin slices
8) Add 1 Tbsp of dried Rosemary
9) Add 1 tsp of dried basil
10) Mix all the ingredients well
11) Place them dish in the oven and roast the veggies for 30 minutes or until you can easily crush a sweet potato with a spoon
12) While the potatoes are in the oven, prepare 2 Tbsp of hazelnuts. Remove as much of the skin as you can.
13) Cut 1 large green apple into half. Save 1/2 of it for another recipe. Cut the apple into large chunks
14) In a blender, add the hazelnut and apples. Add 1 tsp of lime juice
15) Remove from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes, no more.
16) Add the potatoes into the blender. Add 3 tsp of almond milk.
17) Add 1/2 cup of water and pulse. Keep adding 1/2 cup of water and pulsing until the soup is blended perfectly. You will need about 5 cups of water and about 10 minutes of blending.
18) Transfer the contents to a large pan and heat at medium heat. Adjust for salt, spice and water. I also added 2 tsp of lime juice here
19) Transfer to soup bowls and serve immediately. Garnish with cilantro. It will stay fresh for about 1 week. Heat well before serving.
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.