Are you one of those people who hates eggplants? What are your thoughts on curry? Then, allow me to change your mind with this eggplant curry recipe.
Growing up, I loved curries but always hated eggplants. Now, I can’t get enough of this curry. It is amazing how taste change with age, isn’t it?
I prefer using Japanese eggplants in all my recipes. In the case of this eggplant curry, I had to go 3 different stores and they didn’t have it, so, I ended up using the classic variety.
It isn’t that I haven’t used them on this blog in the past. My eggplant parm recipe, I used them. They do have a purpose in the culinary world, but, I cannot get myself to like them as much as the Japanese variety.
Cooking eggplants is an interesting challenge. For curries, boiling the eggplant is the best way to go. This is a great guide on how to boil an eggplant. Boil the potatoes also because they will melt in your mouth.
What food did you hate as a child but cannot get enough of it now?
Recipe for Eggplant Curry
1) Use 2 cups of boiled eggplant (1 small-sized classic eggplant) and 1 cup of boiled potatoes (1 medium sized red potato). Remove the skin from the potatoes only.
2) In a medium pan, add 3 Tbsp of olive oil
3) Add 1/8 tsp of Methi (Fenugreek) Seeds
4) Add 1/2 Tbsp of Black Mustard Seeds (Rai)
5) When the mustard seeds start popping, add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds.
6) Add 1/2 cup of chopped onions
7) Add 1 tsp of crushed garlic. If you can stand more garlic, add another 1/2 tsp.
8) Add 1 tsp of crushed ginger.
9) Add 1 Tbsp of chopped jalapeno. If you can stand the heat, go for 1 tsp or more
10) Let the onions get a little translucent and then add 1/4 tsp of Red Chili Powder (Extra Hot)
11) Add 1/2 tsp of Turmeric Powder. Use more, if you prefer.
12) Add 1/2 Tbsp of Tamarind chutney. I will add another 1/2 Tbsp towards the end. You can add the whole Tbsp now, if you prefer
13) Mix well and add curry leaves, if you have them. Add 2 cups of freshly pulped plum tomatoes
14) Mix well and then add 3 cups of water.
15) Add 1 + 1/2 tsp of salt. You can adjust the amount according to taste
16) Add the boiled eggplant and potatoes. Crush about 3 potato and eggplant cubes. This will help thicken the curry a little.
17) Mix well and then add 1/2 Tbsp of brown sugar
18) Add 1/2 Tbsp of cumin powder
19) Add 2 tsp of garam masala or adjust to taste.