Homemade vegetarian lasagna – A simple homemade vegetarian lasagna recipe made using zucchini, spinach, squash and Tofu. A quick and easy weeknight dinner idea for the whole family
This post is brought to you by Bertolli. All opinions are mine.
It is that time of the year again. The time when spring arrives and a bunch of vegetarian foodies get together to show off our latest creations. Last year, I took my broccoli pasta recipe and it was a huge hit.
This year, I am taking this hearty homemade lasagna that is packed with spring veggies and Bertolli Five Cheese Sauce. Instead of using ricotta cheese, I opted for silken tofu. It turned out to be a much more delicious and healthy option.
This homemade vegetarian lasagna is not the first time i have made a recipe using Bertolli’s sauces. It is my favorite pasta sauce and I use it every time I make Fettuccine Pasta with Peppers with it. The sauces are absolutely divine and very convenient. I never have to add more spices or flavors to it because it is perfect right out of the jar.
In this vegetarian lasagna recipe I put zucchini, spinach, squash and silken tofu. I cannot tell you the wonderful aroma that was coming out of my kitchen when I made the lasagna this morning. It filled my home with the aroma of Tuscany in the spring.
You can put ricotta instead of the silken tofu, but, personally I preferred the silken tofu. Ricotta made this dish a little too heavy for my taste.
Now, I am off to entertain a whole bunch of hungry vegetarians. They are going to devour this lasagna.
Share your favorite pasta dinner idea below.
Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. On stove top, boil 1/2 a packet of lasagna noodles.
2) Slice 3 zucchinis and 3 squashes into thin rounds.
3) In a bowl, add sliced zucchini, squash, 2 tsp of dried oregano, basil, parsley and rosemary (fresh or dried)
4) Add 1 tsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well.
5) Spread vegetable mixture on a baking tray and roast in oven for about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside
6) While the veggies are roasting, add 4 cups of silken tofu to a food processor.
7) Add 2 tsp of salt or to taste and 2 tsp of whole peppercorns to the silken tofu
8) Drain 3 cups of thawed spinach and add it to the tofu. Add 1 tsp of lemon zest to it and blend on low speed until everything is blended. Place the tofu mixture in a separate bowl and refrigerate for 30 min
9) Slice thin slices of 1 cup of mushrooms and 1/4 of a red onion
10) Add 3 tsp of oil to a pan and heat for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and onions, 1 tsp of salt and oregano to pan. Saute on medium heat until the mushrooms are browned and water has dissipated
11) In a casserole dish, start by adding 2 tsp of sauce at the bottom of the pan. Layer noodles on top of the sauce.
12) Generously spread tofu mixture on top of the noodles.
13) Top with the zucchini mixture and layer with Bertolli Sauce.
15) Repeat layering until you are on the last layer. Top final layer with the mushroom mixture. Final layer is noodles, sauce and any remaining veggies. Cook for about 25 minutes or until the noodles start to brown.