Disclosure: Modern Table Meals sent me two packets of Lentil Pasta to enjoy. They did not request a blog post nor did they compensate me monetarily for writing this recipe post. All opinions in this post are mine.
Who doesn’t like receiving swag in the mail?
I, for one, am a huge fan of receiving gifts in the mail, especially if it is of the edible kind. I, literally, turn into the 13 year old me on Christmas morning.
Being a part of the Meatless Monday family, I am lucky enough to get delicious vegetarian products in the mail. So, I was beyond delighted when Modern Table Meals sent me lentil pasta in the mail along with a tote bag and wooden spoon. The best part was the hand-written note that came with the swag. That just made me giddy beyond words.
It doesn’t take much to make me happy…
P/S: Sending hand-written notes is a dying art! I really need to send more hand-written notes
This pasta happens to be gluten free which surprised me because it doesn’t taste like gluten free pasta. It is made with red and green lentils, has no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors. It tastes like a little piece of heaven.
I have been looking for an excuse to use my vegan Alfredo sauce again and these pasta was tailor made for it. Since the pasta is so colorful, I thought it should be paired with other colorful ingredients. Organic orange and red beets were the perfect choice for this pasta.
The beets are baked before adding to the pasta because it brought out all its natural flavors. The orange beets have a very delicate flavor, so, baking them is the best way to make its stand out.
What is your favorite swag item to get in the mail?
Lentil Pasta With Beets
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Also, make sure you prepare the vegan alfredo sauce in advance.
2) Take one red beet and one orange beet. Remove the top part of the beets and wash them thoroughly. Dry them with a paper towel.
3) In a small bowl, add 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of dried basil to the oil. Mix using a basting brush and then oil the outside of the beets with this oil mixture
4) Wrap the beets in aluminum foil and place them in the oven. I like to place them directly on the rack.
5) Bake the beets for 25 minutes or until a knife goes through the beets with ease. Remove from the oven and let them cool before removing the foil
6) While the beets are baking, take a medium pan and add 7 cups of water to it. Add 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of salt. Bring the water to a boil
7) Add 2 cups of the lentil pasta to the boiling water and let them cook for about 10 minutes. I like them to be al-dente.
8) When the pasta is done, drain them and set aside. Do not run the pasta under cold water.
9) Use a large grater and grate the beets
10) Place a medium sauce pan on the stove and add 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil. Heat on low heat for about 1 minute
11) Take 2 Thai chili and slit them in the middle. Remove the seeds and add them to the pasta mixture.
12) Add the cooked lentil pasta first and then the grated beets.
13) Add 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 1/4 tsp of dried basil. Stir gently
14) Take 2 Thai chili and slit them in the middle. Remove the seeds and add them to the pasta mixture.
15) Add 2 cups of Alfredo sauce to the pasta and stir well.
Serve the Beet and Lentil Pasta immediately. I think a nice Pinot Noir goes great with this pasta meal.