Vegan Tostada loaded with salsa marinated tofu and fresh veggies. If you are looking for a healthy vegan dinner recipe, try this recipe. Perfect weeknight dinner recipe for the whole family to enjoy
Before you read any further, let me warn you! This is going to be one MESSY vegan tostada! All the ingredients will be dripping, falling and causing all kinds of mayhem while you are eating it! You are going to have to open your jaw really wide while devouring it! You will go through a dozen paper napkins or even have to wear a bib!
However, trust me when I say this, this tostada is totally worth the locked jaw and messy hands.
Not that I need a reason, but, I had a good excuse to make my famous pina colada guacamole recipe. It was the base for this recipe and just put a smile on my face when I tasted it in this vegan tostada
I love dipping tofu in salsa and eating it right out of its watery package. It is absolutely delicious, especially if I am dipping it in pineapple salsa.
So, I figured I would marinate the tofu in salsa and roast it. I ate the whole batch after roasting it; It was that good!
With Cinco De Mayo just around the corner, I think it was only right to use it in a Mexican food recipe. However, it is good for any day of the week. To be honest, I think I could eat it 5 times a week!
The broccoli, squash, peppers and radishes are roasted to bring out their flavors. The veggies are crucial to this recipe because they add texture and nutrition to this recipe.
If you find yourself in Orlando for Cinco De Mayo, there are so many events on this day. Disney likes to go all out too. You can find all the events around Orlando area in this post.
Fully Loaded Vegan Tostada
1) You will need tostada shells for this recipe. You can get the store bought tostadas or check out WikiHow’s suggestions on making your own shells – http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Tostada-Shells
2) Take 1/2 of a whole tofu block and cut it into small squares.
3) In a bowl, add 2 cups of your favorite salsa, 1/4 tsp of taco seasoning, 1/2 a tsp of crushed garlic, 1 tsp of black pepper, 1/4 tsp of sugar and 1 tsp of olive oil. Mix well.
4) Add the cut tofu to the bowl and stir gently to keep the tofu intact. Cover the top of the bowl with plastic wrap and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
5) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and spread out the tofu. Set aside any excess marinade liquid. It will come in use later
6) Place the sheet in the oven and bake for ten minutes. Remove from the oven and flip the tofu pieces. Use the excess marinade liquid and add 1/4 tsp on each tofu piece. Bake for another 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Set aside
7) While the tofu is marinating, cut the broccoli into small pieces and place it in the bowl
8) Cut 1 small yellow squash, 1/2 of a red pepper and 5 radishes into small pieces. Place them in the same bowl as the broccoli
9)Heat a stir fry pan and add 2 tsp of sunflower oil. Let the oil warm for 30 seconds.
10) Add 1 tsp of cumin seeds to the heated oil. This is optional
11) Gently add all the cut veggies to the heated oil and stir gently
12) Add 1/4 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 2 tsp of taco seasoning. You can add this 3 ingredients to your liking.
13) Cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat or until the veggies turn brown, stirring occasionally. Make sure you don’t blacken any of the veggies. If you find that the veggies are not done after 15 minutes, give them another 3-4 minutes
14) Add 1/2 cup of sweet kernel corn and mix well. If you are using frozen corn, make sure it is thawed and drained of any water.
15) Add 1/2 cup of black beans and stir again.
16) Heat this mixture for another 2 minutes and then set aside.
17) Add 2 tsp of freshly squeezed lime juice and stir
18) Add the roasted tofu in the pan. Mix well and set aside for a few minutes.
Assemble the Vegan Tostada
1) Assemble this tostada only when ready to serve, otherwise it will get soggy. On a plate, place the tostada shell
2) Gently spread guacamole on it. I like to make it a thick layer so I use about 1/4 cup per shell. You can use as much as you like
3) Add about 5-7 arugula leaves on top of the guacamole (optional)
4) Top with the veggie and tofu mixture. I add about 1 cup of this mixture to the tostada. This recipe will make about 3-4 tostadas
5) Finally, top with 1 tsp of salsa verde on each tostada (optional)
Serve this Vegan tostada immediately and enjoy!