Potato soup recipe with fennel & dill (vegan) – It is an easy potato soup recipe made using cream of coconut. Comfort food recipe for cold or rainy days
This soup has all the ingredients for a hearty, warm and comforting meal. I decided to roast the potatoes because it really brings out its flavors while retaining its texture. That turned out to be a very delicious decision.
My favorite part of this recipe is the fennel. I had never used it on the blog before my pickled vegetables recipe and now, I have five recipes planned. It is one of the most fragrant vegetables I have worked with. When I sliced into it, my kitchen was filled with a licorice and star anise aroma.
They had an even more heady aroma when I roasted them on the stove top. The aroma seeped into my pores and I could smell it in my sleep. It is some of the best sleep I have had in a very long time.
In my broccoli and cauliflower soup, I used coconut milk to make it creamy. However, in this soup, I used cream de coconut which is sweeter than coconut milk. When combined with ginger, this soup becomes sweet, spicy and oh so delicious! I also left this soup a little chunky because that is the way I like my soups.
What is your favorite winter soup?
Potato Soup Recipe With Fennel
1) Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Take 5 small red potatoes and wash them thoroughly. I prefer the red potatoes, but, you can use russet potatoes too.
2) Cut the potatoes into 4 pieces and place them in a bowl. Don’t remove the skin just yet.
3) Add 1 Tbsp of olive oil to the bowl, 1 tsp of oregano, 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper. Mix well and spread it on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes. When they pass the knife test, they are done.
4) While the potatoes are in the oven, take 1/2 of a fennel bulb and cut it into strips. You can pickle the other half.
5) Cut half of a green bell pepper into long strips. Use the other half to make a vegan pot pie.
6) In a stir fry pan, add 1 Tbsp of oil and heat on low for 30 seconds. Add 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped and 3 tsp of ginger. You can adjust the ginger according to your taste
7) Add the green bell pepper to the stir fry pan. Add 1 tsp of salt and stir fry until the bell pepper is softened. Should be about 7-10 minutes on medium heat.
8) Add the fennel and stir fry for about 5 more minutes. Set it aside and allow it to cool for about 5 minutes before placing the contents in a blender.
9) Add 2 tsp of cream de coconut and 1/4 cup of water. You can adjust water quantity if it feels too thick. Blend until it is smooth. Remove and strain to remove stray fennel strands. Set aside
10) When the potatoes are done, remove them from the oven. Cool and remove their skin. Use a hand mixer to crush the potatoes.
11) In a saucepan, add the potatoes and strained fennel mixture. Add 2 sprigs of chopped dill and blend everything using a hand blender.
12) Add 1 tsp of cream of coconut (optional) and 1 cup of water. Simmer for 7-10 minutes. Taste it and adjust for salt or pepper. Add 1 tsp of lemon juice and mix well
!Serve the potato soup immediately.