What do you do with bell peppers? Make this bell pepper sandwich bite! It is perfect vegan brunch recipe using focaccia bread and strawberry chives pesto
I have a special love for bell peppers. This fact will be obvious to all of you because you have seen (and made) many of my recipes which have bell peppers.
What is it about bell peppers that I just cannot resist?
I don’t know the answer, but, if anyone has an answer to that question, please comment below.
My all time favorite bell pepper recipe has to be my Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich. It is my go-to grilled cheese sandwich and I think I eat it about 3-4 times a month!
I just love the juicy, crunchy and sweet flavor of bell peppers. It adds a delicious flair to any recipe it graces. I have found that roasting it in the oven or on a grill is the best way to cook bell peppers because it gives them a smoky flavor.
Instead of making a full sandwich, I thought it would be better to make them bite sized and serve as part of my Sunday vegan brunch theme.
Shameless self promotion alert! Have you grabbed my vegan brunch e-book? It is filled with delicious tomato based recipes that start with an out-of-this-world bloody Mary and end with a tomato dessert! Have a tomato themed brunch this Sunday and serve each of the 6 recipes. I made sure that the recipes don’t take long to make because you shouldn’t spend all of your Sunday in the kitchen!
I used my strawberry focaccia in this recipe and you must think I am insane for doing that. Truth is, I am insane but not for mixing fruits and veggies in this recipe.
The strawberry and peppers worked so well in this recipe. The sweetness of the strawberries works so well with the bell peppers and the tang from the balsamic vinegar.
Wait there is more….
The spread I used in this vegan sandwich, is my favorite chive and strawberry pesto! Does that make your jaw drop?
It might seem like too much strawberries, but, it really isn’t that. The strawberries provide just the right amount of sweetness to this recipe. The strawberries are like backup dancers. They make the main dancer look perfect but don’t stealing the spotlight
So, what is your favorite bell pepper recipe?
Bell Pepper Sandwich Bites
Note: Prepare the focaccia before hand. You can use your favorite focaccia, but, this recipe works best the strawberry one.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly spray cooking oil on a baking tray
2) Take 2 bell peppers and cut them into halves. I took one red bell pepper and one green one. Remove the stem, core and seeds
3) Lightly brush the halves with olive oil and place them in the cut side down on the baking tray. Place tray in the bottom rack. Roast for about 7 minutes or until the outside of peppers blisters and chars
4) Remove from the oven and let them cool. While they are cooling, prepare the pesto. You can use your own pesto, but, make sure it is on the sweeter side
5) Once the peppers have cooled to the touch, remove the outer skin. It should peel off easily.
6) Cut the peppers into long strips
7) In a small pan, add 1 tsp of oil and heat on medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the peppers, 1/4 tsp of oregano, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper and 2 Tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette.
8) Saute for about 4 minutes on low heat and then set it aside
Cut the focaccia into squares and cut the squares into halves. Spread the pesto and top with the bell peppers. Close with the sandwich top and serve immediately.