I figured I would squeeze in one more soup recipe before soup season is over. A spicy and creamy broccoli soup with cauliflower recipe is the perfect way to end the season.
The one thing I wanted this soup to be was spicy. By spicy, I mean really spicy! I figured that this was a cold winter, so, there should be a soup recipe that will help clear everyone’s sinuses.
So, this recipe contains Indian red chili pepper powder (Extra Hot). This pepper is used daily in all my Indian cooking and personally, I don’t find it too spicy.
Those that don’t use it daily will definitely find this recipe a cheap way to clear your nasal passages. And, might I add, a very delicious way to clear them.
Along with the chili pepper, there is also a generous amount of garlic and ginger. They both have a natural ability to free up those congested areas.
Instead of making this a creamy and heavy soup, I went with a lite coconut milk to add a “creamy” feel to the soup. The lite coconut milk has about 65% less fat than the full version of coconut soup.
You know that wonderful feeling you get when you pair 2 very separate personalities and they end up living happily ever after?
That is the feeling I got when I paired the broccoli and cauliflower together. Broccoli made this soup dense and the nutrition value of cauliflower made this soup a healthy alternative to calorie-heavy soups.
The way I see it, this soup was a match made in heaven!
Or, at the very least, a match made in my kitchen.
What is your favorite winter soup?
Spicy Broccoli soup with Cauliflower
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. In a bowl, add 2 cups of broccoli heads.
2) Add 1 cup of cauliflower heads
3) Add 1 cup of roughly chopped onions
4) Add 3 cloves of garlic
5) Add 4 slices of ginger
6)Add 1/2 Tbsp of red chili pepper powder (extra hot)
7) Add 1 tsp of sea salt
8) Add 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
9) Mix well and place on a baking tray. Place the tray in the oven and roast the vegetables for about 20 minutes or until the broccoli and cauliflower crowns turn dark brown
10) Remove from the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes
11) Add the roasted veggies into a blender. Add 1 cup of water and blend on high speed. Blend until the contents are smooth. There should be no chunks remaining after blending
12) Transfer the contents into a medium pan and set the heat to medium-high
13) Add 1 and 1/2 cups of lite coconut milk
14) Add 1/2 tsp of salt or to taste
15) Add 1/4 tsp of freshly ground pepper (optional)
16) Bring the contents to a boil and then add 2 tsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
Transfer the broccoli soup into a bowl and enjoy!