Homemade vegetarian lasagna – A simple homemade vegetarian lasagna recipe made using zucchini, spinach, squash and Tofu. A quick and easy weeknight dinner idea for the whole family
This post is brought to you by Bertolli. All opinions are mine.
It is that time of the year again. The time when spring arrives and a bunch of vegetarian foodies get together to show off our latest creations. Last year, I took my broccoli pasta recipe and it was a huge hit.
This year, I am taking this hearty homemade lasagna that is packed with spring veggies and Bertolli Five Cheese Sauce. Instead of using ricotta cheese, I opted for silken tofu. It turned out to be a much more delicious and healthy option.
This homemade vegetarian lasagna is not the first time i have made a recipe using Bertolli’s sauces. It is my favorite pasta sauce and I use it every time I make Fettuccine Pasta with Peppers with it. The sauces are absolutely divine and very convenient. I never have to add more spices or flavors to it because it is perfect right out of the jar.
In this vegetarian lasagna recipe I put zucchini, spinach, squash and silken tofu. I cannot tell you the wonderful aroma that was coming out of my kitchen when I made the lasagna this morning. It filled my home with the aroma of Tuscany in the spring.
You can put ricotta instead of the silken tofu, but, personally I preferred the silken tofu. Ricotta made this dish a little too heavy for my taste.
Now, I am off to entertain a whole bunch of hungry vegetarians. They are going to devour this lasagna.
Share your favorite pasta dinner idea below.
Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
1) Preheat oven to 475 degrees. On stove top, boil 1/2 a packet of lasagna noodles.
2) Slice 3 zucchinis and 3 squashes into thin rounds.
3) In a bowl, add sliced zucchini, squash, 2 tsp of dried oregano, basil, parsley and rosemary (fresh or dried)
4) Add 1 tsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Mix well.
5) Spread vegetable mixture on a baking tray and roast in oven for about 20 minutes. Remove and set aside
6) While the veggies are roasting, add 4 cups of silken tofu to a food processor.
7) Add 2 tsp of salt or to taste and 2 tsp of whole peppercorns to the silken tofu
8) Drain 3 cups of thawed spinach and add it to the tofu. Add 1 tsp of lemon zest to it and blend on low speed until everything is blended. Place the tofu mixture in a separate bowl and refrigerate for 30 min
9) Slice thin slices of 1 cup of mushrooms and 1/4 of a red onion
10) Add 3 tsp of oil to a pan and heat for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and onions, 1 tsp of salt and oregano to pan. Saute on medium heat until the mushrooms are browned and water has dissipated
11) In a casserole dish, start by adding 2 tsp of sauce at the bottom of the pan. Layer noodles on top of the sauce.
12) Generously spread tofu mixture on top of the noodles.
13) Top with the zucchini mixture and layer with Bertolli Sauce.
15) Repeat layering until you are on the last layer. Top final layer with the mushroom mixture. Final layer is noodles, sauce and any remaining veggies. Cook for about 25 minutes or until the noodles start to brown.
Homemade Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe
- 2 bottles of Bertolli Five Cheese Sauce
- 1 packet of lasagna noodles
- 3 squashes (yellow , medium sized squashes
- 3 Zucchinis (medium sized)
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of basil
- 2 tsp of parsley
- 2 tsp of rosemary
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups of silken tofu
- 3 tsp of salt or to taste (for the tofu)
- 2 tsp of whole peppercorns (for the tofu)
- 3 cups of Spinach (thawed)
- 1 tsp of lemon zest
- 2 cup of mushrooms (white button mushrooms)
- 1/4 of a red onion
- 3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil (for sauteing the mushrooms and onions)
- 1 tsp of salt (for sauteing the mushrooms and onions)
- 1 tsp of oregano (for sauteing the mushrooms and onions)
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. While the oven is heating, boil the lasagna noodles. I really like Live Strong's instructions on how to make al dente lasagna noodles. In my recipe, I used about 1/2 a packet of the lasagna noodles
Take 3 medium sized squashes and 3 medium sized zucchinis. Using a mandoline, slice thin chips of the zucchini and squash.
In a bowl, add the sliced zucchini and squash. Add 2 tsp of dried oregano, basil, parsley and rosemary. If you have any of these fresh herbs, use that instead.
Add 1 tsp of salt and 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and mix well.
Spread the vegetable mixture on a baking tray and place in the oven. Let them roast for about 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown. Remove and allow them to cool
While the veggies are roasting, add 4 cups of silken tofu to a food processor.
Add 3 tsp of salt or to taste and 2 tsp of whole peppercorns to the silken tofu
Drain 3 cups of thawed spinach and add it to the tofu. Add 1 tsp of lemon zest to it and blend on low speed until everything is blended. Place the tofu mixture in a separate bowl and refrigerate for 30 min
Take 1 cup of mushrooms and slice them thinly. I used whit button mushrooms for this recipe
Chop a quarter of red onion into thin, long slices. Place a pan on medium heat, add 3 tsp of extra virgin olive oil.
Let it heat for 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and onions to the pan. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of oregano. Saute on medium heat until the mushrooms are browned. If there is water in the pan, let it evaporate.
In a casserole dish, start by adding the sauce at the bottom of the pan. I spread about 2 tsps on the bottom
Lay down 3 cooked lasagna noodles on top of the sauce. Use as many noodles as you need to fill the bottom of the casserole dish
Start by spreading the tofu mixture on top of the lasagna noodles. Be generous.
Top with the zucchini and squash mixture.
Top with Bertolli 5 Cheese Sauce.
Repeat from #13 and continue until you are on the last layer. On this layer, instead of adding the zucchini mixture, layer with the mushroom and onion mixture.
Close with one last layer of noodles and spread any remaining tofu mixture on top. If you have any veggies left, layer them too
Add one last layer of Bertolli sauce and place in the oven. Cook for about 25 minutes or until the noodles start to brown.
Remove the homemade vegetarian lasagna from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes before serving.