Vegan sandwich recipes don’t get any easier than this super simple Hummus club sandwich recipe. Not to mention, it is one delicious recipe mainly because of a very secret ingredient.
Don’t take my word for it; make it and see for yourself.
“What is the secret ingredient?” you ask.
“Granny smith apples!”, I respond.
….and now, it is no longer a secret!
I wanted something tangy in this recipe and green apples was the perfect ingredient to this recipe. It is slightly crispy and has just a little bit of sweetness to it. When paired with the hummus, I felt like I was in flavor heaven!
If you have an extra half hour of time, make your very hummus from scratch. Trust me, you won’t regret it. If you want a recipe for hummus, I recommend my beet hummus recipe or try a roasted red pepper hummus.
Hummus Club Sandwich Recipe
1) Cut half of a green apple into circular pieces
2) Cut heirloom tomato into circular pieces
3) Cut half of a red onion into circular shapes
4) Shred 1 medium sized carrot. It should make about 1/2 cup worth
5) Toast 4 slices of whole wheat bread
6) On a plate, place 1 slice of bread and spread hummus on it. Be generous with your hummus. Personally, I like about a 1/4 inch layer of hummus on the toast. Do the same for 2nd piece of toast and set that aside
7) Add about 7-10 leaves of baby spinach
8) Place four slices of green apples on top of the spinach
9) Place 3-4 slices of the tomato pieces on top of the green apples
10) Place the onion rounds on top of the tomatoes
11) If you are using avocado, top the onions with the avocado slices. Top with the carrots.
12) Close the sandwich with the 2nd toast from step #6. Using a sharp knife, cut diagonally. Cut the halves diagonally.
That’s it! Your hummus club sandwich is ready to be served. It will get soggy, so, serve immediately after making it.