Vegan Lentil Curry is a staple in Indian food. We love curry and lentil is right at the top of the list. Here is a Vegan Lentil Curry recipe like no other!
In this vegan lentil curry, you will find pinto beans, small potatoes, purple potatoes, cherry tomatoes, red onions and a whole bunch of Indian spices that are great for the digestive system.
All my recipes, so far, have been quick easy meals that haven’t taken more than an hour to make. This recipe on the other, takes about 7 hours to make. I decided to go into the slow cooker recipes because they are all the rage.
I discovered that a vegan lentil curry is best when slow cooked. Turns out, all these years, I was cooking them incorrectly. Cooking it on the stove top never let all its flavors marinate and bring them to the surface.
This mini slow cooker is my faithful appliance. It made the journey with me from NJ and it has been very useful. You can use your regular crockpot slow cooker for the same amount of time.
Turmeric is a very important spice. I added it to this recipe as it is a staple in all Indian food. It is called the world’s healthiest spice for good reasons. Click here to read all about the Turmeric.
So, what is your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Recipe Details for Vegan Lentil Curry – Slow Cooked
- 1 cup of lentils (You can soak them overnight for better results. This is not necessary)
- 1 cup of pinto beans (fresh will be better, but, you can use the canned version)
- 3 tiny white potatoes or one big white potato
- 2 small purple potatoes
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onions
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp of shredded ginger
- 1 tsp of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 5-6 seeds of mustard
- 1 tsp of black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 1 cup of tomato puree (canned or fresh)
- 2 tsp of vegetable or olive oil
- 1/4 cup of water
- 3 tsp of kosher salt or to taste
- In a medium sauce pan, add the oil and warm it at low heat
- Add both mustard seeds and allow the black mustard seeds to pop
- Add the cumin seeds
- Add the turmeric and cayenne pepper
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds
- Add the curry leaves followed immediately by water and tomato puree
- Heat for a couple minutes and then remove from heat
- Turn on your slow cooker and allow it warm up for about 5 minutes
- Add the tomato puree with all the spices into the slow cooker
- Add the lentils and pinto beans
- Stir well once and then allow it to cook on its own for 4-5 hours
- After 5 hours, open the lid and stir. Add more water, if needed
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook uncovered for the next 2 hours
- Stir it occasionally
- Remove from the slow cooker and serve with naan or rice. Or Both! 🙂