This vegan sandwich is truly my new favorite recipe. It is made with all fresh vegetables that are roasted in the oven and topped with vegan feta cheese.
Sunday supper is always a huge deal in our home. The Sunday brunch is for friends and the Sunday supper is dedicated to family.
Most Sunday suppers are made of huge meals, but, occasionally we will make a light supper. Like this pita sandwich. It is light, but, very filling. I think I had 3 pita sandwiches and I was full.
Trying to get the whole family to eat veggies is a task in itself, especially asparagus. In our home it is referred to as the “green stick” and no one likes it (except me). However, I put all the veggies inside a sandwich and suddenly, they become irresistible.
Vegan Sandwich With Fresh Veggies
1) Preheat oven at 450 degrees. Chop the veggies into small pieces: 1 small zucchini, 1 small yellow zucchini, 3 asparagus, 5 button mushrooms, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, 1/2 white onion)
2) Chop 3 cloves of garlic into strips
3) Place the veggies in casserole dish. Add 1/2 tsp of salt
4) Add 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
5) Add 1/8 tsp of whole peppercorns
6) Add 1 Tbsp of dried basil
7) Add 1/2 tsp of mint (optional) and 1/2 tsp of oregano. Mix all the veggies and spices using a spoon
8) In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes (halved) and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray.
9) Place the veggies in the oven. The tomatoes will be done in ten minutes and the veggies will be done in about 25 minutes
10) While the veggies are in the oven, make the dressing. Add 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1/2 a tsp of maple syrup in the bowl
11) Remove the veggies from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and then top with the dressing. Mix well
12) Take pita halves and spread your favorite hummus variety on the inside of the pita bread. Add 1 leave of romaine lettuce to the side of the pita.
13) Add the veggies to the pita sandwich and top with 1/4 tsp of feta cheese. Serve immediately
Want even more ideas for Sunday Supper?
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan by The Crumby Cupcake
- Butternut Squash Kale Lasagna by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Butternut Squash Portobello Tacos with Garlic Sage Cream Sauce by Daily Dish Recipes
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Crème Fraîche and Fried Sage Leaves by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Easy Veggie Bake by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Eggplant Rollatini by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Eggplant Rollatini by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flourless Oatmeal Nutella Pumpkin Muffins by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma Pizza with Dried Tomatoes by Get the Good Stuff!
- Greek Stuffed Baked Zucchini by The Weekend Gourmet
- Harissa-Roasted Vegetables with Couscous by Caroline’s Cooking
- Moroccan-style Lentil Chickpea Stew by Food Lust People Love
- Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Polenta with Aged Gouda, Chard & Wild Mushrooms by 30A Eats
- Portobello Stack by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cake Cheesecake by gotta get baked
- Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Potato and Spinach Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Shiitake Mushrooms with a Balsamic Glaze Over Polenta by Fearless Dining
- Stuffed Butternut Squash by Life Tastes Good
- Vegan Sandwich with Fresh Veggies by Healing Tomato
- Vegetable Pizza by Feeding Big and more
- Vegetable Strudel by Palatable Pastime
- Vegetarian Chili by Wholistic Woman
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.