This is a very basic air fryer tortilla chips recipe that anyone can make. It needs just 4 ingredients and you will have THE PERFECT tortilla chip snack in 18 minutes.
My air fryer has become my new favorite kitchen gadget!
I love how easy it is to make everyday recipes in it.
But, more importantly, it’s a healthier way to cook many recipes, like these chips.
Here is a quick look at the ingredients. It is to understand why these specific ingredients were chosen. To get the full recipe, go to the bottom of this post.
Flour Tortillas – Flour tortillas are easy to chop up and turn into chips. I can always find organic tortillas like these La Tortillas Hand Made Style are best for turning into chips.
Avocado Oil – This heat has a high smoke point of about (520°F (271°C). This means that it doesn’t turn into bad a omega oil when heated.
Salt – I used pink salt in this recipe, but you can use regular salt. Adjust the salt if you are using regular salt because it’s a little more salty than pink salt.
Chili powder – This is optional, but I highly recommend it. A spicy chip is a delicious chip!
💪 Handy Tip: Don’t open the air fryer basket for about a minute after it’s done. This will make sure that the chips don’t get to hard.
Flour tortillas versus corn tortillas?
I know what you must be wondering!
“Why the heck did she use flour tortillas instead of corn tortillas?”
Let me just put a little disclaimer first. Yes, I know that tortilla chips should be made with corn tortillas not flour tortillas.
Corn tortillas don’t agree with me at all. My digestive system flat out rejects it and makes me pay for putting it through all that stress! 😂
You can easily make this recipe using flour tortillas or corn tortillas. Choose what works best for your digestive system.
Every air fryer is different, so, your chips may turn out differently. I used (Affiliate Link) COSORI Air Fryer Max XL 5.8QT.
🔥 Substitution tip: Preheating, shaking and stirring is not needed while they are in the air fryer. These chips make easily on their own, without interference.
What to serve with tortilla chips?
- Queso dip
- Cream cheese dip
- Mexican bean dip
- Whipped Feta dip with an olive salad.
- Use it as a chip for you chili dip.
Answering Common Questions
They will be good for about three days, when refrigerated. If you keep them outside, consume them within 2 days.
No, air fried tortilla chips don’t retain their texture when frozen, especially the flour tortilla chips.
A smokey salsa like this tomatillo red chili salsa or a sweet salsa like this mango habanero salsa are the perfect dips. Other tangy salsas like Spicy salsa verde or Apple salsa verde would be a good dip too. Or, go bold and serve it with chermoula sauce.
Most tortillas on the market may not have animal products, but, they do have controversial ingredients.
Such controversial ingredients include carrageenan, palm oil and soybean oil in most tortillas. If you can find a organic tortillas like La Tortillas Hand Made Style near you, then go for those. I am not affiliated with them, just a fan girl.
🥣 Handy Tip: You can make tortilla strips instead of chips and serve it on top of soups. They add a nice crunch to the soup.
If you are curious to learn more about the difference between vegan and vegetarian, check out my complete guide to veganism.
Try these recipes in the air fryer
🔪 Substitution tip: If using the large or grande tortillas, then cut them into smaller pieces because they will cook faster.
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this tortilla chips recipe. If you enjoyed this, please give it 5 stars and share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
How to make air fryer tortilla chips
- COSORI Air Fryer
- Cut each tortilla into 12 triangle-shaped pieces
- Put the tortillas in a bowl
- Drizzle the oil on top
- Add salt and chili powder
- Mix well
- Place the tortillas in the air fryer tray. See notes
- Place the tray in your air fryer
- Set your air fryer to 300°F (149°C) for 15 minutes and start it
- Once complete, remove it after about a minute
- Serve immediately
- Preheating, shaking and stirring is not needed while they are in the air fryer. I have seen it being recommended, but, I found it unnecessary.
- I remove the chips from the air fryer about 1 minute after it is done. This way they don’t become too hard.
- Serve these chips immediately because they are at their best while warm
- I try not to crowd the air fryer, so, I only made it with 3 tortillas at one time. If you are making it for a crowd, my suggestion would be to make it in batches.
- If using the large or grande tortillas, then cut them into smaller pieces because they will cook faster.
- Every air fryer is different, so, your chips may turn out differently. I used COSORI Air Fryer Max XL 5.8QT.