What to do with arugula? Make this easy arugula salad recipe that is ready in just 10 minutes! It’s a sugar-free, vegan salad that is packed with vegan protein and vitamin C.
“What to do with arugula?”
Do you wonder how to use this super healthy green plant that is part of the family Brassicaceae?
Well you are in luck because here is one of my favorite vegan arugula salad.
The best part is the spiced tofu that really brings out the best of arugula!
How to make it
2. In a wok, add one part of the avocado oil, marinated tofu and sliced garlic. Saute on low for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In a salad bowl, add all the ingredients, including the remaining avocado oil and sauteed tofu.
4. Mix well and serve this salad immediately. It’s best when fresh.
👩🍳 Substitution tip: If you don’t have time to marinate your tofu in Harissa overnight, you can always get the store bought version. Hodo makes an awesome version which available in many grocery or big box stores.
What is arugula salad made of?
- Fresh arugula (AKA baby arugula)
- Lemon juice
- Avocado oil
- Mini sweet peppers
- Harissa marinated tofu
- Salt & garlic
This is a quick synopsis of the ingredients. Find the full list of ingredients and instructions in the printable card below.
🍅 Handy Tip: Keep a jar of this homemade harissa marinated tofu and use it for recipes. This marinated tofu lasts about a month when refrigerated.
Why the ingredients work well together
All the ingredients put into this recipe for arugula salad contribute to the betterment of our health. I deliberately choose the ingredients not just for their taste, but also for how they assist to the healthy functioning of the human body.
Arugula: Arugula is a bitter, peppery, and tarty in flavor. All these flavors of the arugula make it the perfect vegetable to support our liver.
Lemon Juice: Fresh lemon juice is packed with Vitamin C. This is a huge antioxidant vitamin that helps with healthy skin and fight the free radicals.
Dill: Packed with flavinoids, it is good for the heart. It helps reduce the risks of heart diseases and strokes.
Mini sweet peppers: This is my favorite source for Vitamin C. I eat them right out of the bag. Additionally, they are really good source of fiber which is food for our gut bacteria.
Tofu: One of the 2 most common source of protein for vegans is tofu, the other being tempeh. It is such a versatile ingredient because it comes as a blank slate. It can be flavored to be spicy, salty, tangy, and so much more. This time, I marinated it in Harissa sauce, overnight. Tastes sooo good.
Avocado oil: Avocado oil is part of the healthy fats family. Healthy fats help absorb proteins better. Additionally, avocado oil has a high smoke point, so it’s great for cooking.
Max Lugavere makes a simple arugula salad recipe using just 3 ingredients and serve it with a meat protein. Since I don’t do meat, I always make his recipe, by adding vegan protein and Vitamin C to my salad.
Arugula is packed with so much nutrients that support the liver. So, it’s one of those leafy greens that you and I should frequently have in our diet. I eat it about 3 times a week. How about you?
🍅 Handy Tip: Refrigerate this salad in a glass bowl because the lemon juice will not react with the container. Also, use the salad up within a couple days.
Answering common questions
Yes, they are the same thing. In the United States, it is referred to as arugula leaves. Across the pond, in the UK and many other countries they are referred to as rocket leaves.
Arugula is not like any other greens. Bite into arugula and your tastebuds will experience bitter, peppery and tangy flavors. It has a very strong taste that is unmistakable.
It’s best to keep arugula salad recipe a very simple affair. I used a very easy lemon dressing in this salad. You can also try this arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette.
It can be cooked, but heat destroys some of it’s good properties like the bitterness and peppery flavors. It’s best consume arugula in it’s raw form.
More arugula recipes you will LOVE!
- Arugula Has Major Health Benefits — Here’s How to Eat More (Besides Making Salad) by Live Strong
- Amazing Arugula: 6 Benefits (video)
- The surprising way to reverse fatty liver (video)
- 7 Surprising Foods to Fight Holiday Bloat – by Brit+Co
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this recipe. If you enjoyed this keto arugula salad recipe, please give it 5 stars and share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
⭐️ Want even more Healing Tomato recipes? Sign up for my weekly newsletter ⭐️
The BEST Arugula Salad Recipe
- 1 Wok or a sautee pan
- 1 Salad bowl
- 1 Salad tongs
For marinating the tofu
- 1 tsp Harissa paste mild or medium flavor, see note #1
- 1 tsp water
- ¼ block tofu pressed and cubed
- 1½ Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced, lengthwise
For the salad
- 2½ oz arugula about 3-4 cups
- 2 mini sweet peppers de-seeded, cut lengthwise.
- 1½ Tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp dill chopped
- ⅛ tsp pink salt optional
- 1½ Tbsp avocado oil adjust to taste
To marinate the tofu
- In a glass jar, add the harissa, water and tofu. Mix well and marinate overnight.1 tsp Harissa paste, 1 tsp water, ¼ block tofu
Cooking the tofu
- Next day, heat a wok for 30 seconds and add the oil and garlic.
- Add the marinated tofu and all the juices in the water to the wok.
- Saute on low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let it burn/char.
- Turn off heat and set tofu aside.
Assembling the salad
- In a salad bowl, add all salad ingredients and the sauteed tofu.
- Mix well and serve immediately.