Beets have so many health values, yet they are generally ignored by the public. Here is a very simple beet salad that provides nutrition and is also healthy
Do you love beets as much as I do?
I love adding them in all sorts of recipes, like this vegetarian chili recipe.
I decided that I am going to dedicate this week to beets and I am calling it, “Beets-may-stain-but-they-are-very-healthy week”
All week, I am celebrating the very healthy and nutritious vegetable that is largely overlooked.
Beets-may-stain-but-they-are-very-healthy week came about because I am going on a health kick for the next few weeks.
I have had so much western and eastern medicine in me for the last few weeks, I feel the need to cleanse my body. The western medicines had very strange names but they did the trick. The eastern medicines helped with the coughing.
For the record, sinusitis sucks!!!
Allow me to sing praises of the beet to you. I affectionately call the beet a “cancer-fighting vegetable that also likes to make red stains everywhere”
Sure, the nickname is long, but, it is very descriptive.
I think beets generally get a bad name because they leave behind stubborn red stains. The stains overshadows all its positive qualities.
Beets have a great deal of folate in them and that helps battle depression. Beets also help regenerate and reactivate red blood cells.
So, I quickly got past all the red stains it leaves behind and started including it in my regular diet. This beet salad is one of my favorite things to eat.
This beet salad has nothing but healthy ingredients. Every ingredient of this salad is healthy.
The Walnuts are great for your heart.
The salad greens are packed with Vitamin A.
The Oranges are known to be best friends with Vitamin C.
Feta cheese is a good source of Protein, Calcium and Vitamin B12.
Red Onions have a heavy dose of Vitamin B6, among other nutrition. It also is very low on sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol.
For the salad dressing on this beet salad, I went with a very simple salad dressing recipe. This dressing has freshly squeezed oranges and other spices.
Sure, I like to have your french fries and onion rings. However, occasionally, I like to include healthy foods like the beet salad. “Everything in moderation” is my motto.
I will stop my ramblings now and present to you these wonderful vegetarian beet salad.
How to make Beet Salad with Orange Balsamic Dressing
Beet Salad Recipe
For the beet salad
- Cut the shards of the beets and wash it thoroughly
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Mix ingredients of the salad dressing and set aside
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to overnight
- Wrap the beets in aluminum foil
- Place the beets in the oven and allow to bake for 40-45 minutes
- Remove the beets and let them cool
- Use a paper towel to soak up all the liquid on the outside of the beets
- Cut some of the beets in circular shapes and cut some of the beets into very small pieces
- Cut the oranges into small triangular shapes
- In a small pan, roast the pine nuts for about 1 minute or until light brown
- In a salad plate, add a layer of spring mix greens
- Add the cut oranges, round beets and onion
- Finally. add walnuts and feta cheese
- Top with pine nuts and the small pieces of beets
- Add the salad dressing according to your preference