Quick, easy & stuffed black bean quesadillas made with coconut rice and peas. Topped with delicious melted pepper jack cheese. Perfect for weeknight dinners
Have you ever put peas in quesadillas? If you haven’t, you are MISSING out.
These quesadillas are my favorite comfort food recipe ever.
Once in a while, I put together ingredients that have no business being in the same recipe. Remember how I brought together Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes into a spring rolls?
This time, I am introducing coconut rice with peas into a quesadilla and what resulted was an out-of-this-world Mexican recipe!
And did I mention that the rice I used was Basmati? Basmati rice in a Mexican recipe! This didn’t cause the time-space continuum to rupture!
(I wonder if we would know if such a rupture did exist?)
Basmati rice also makes for a delicious Mexican Fried Rice recipe.
This was the most delicious fusion recipe I have ever made. I loved how the soft rice melted when I eat it and the lemon flavors in the recipe gave it a slight tang.
The cheese brings everything together and tastes like the perfect comfort food recipe! I used pepper jack block cheese because they melt into a stretchy cheese. What’s a quesadilla without stretchy cheese right?
I used my homemade coconut rice recipe to make these black bean quesadillas. Brown rice or wild rice will also be perfect for this recipe.
If you like wild rice, check out my pressure cooker mushroom and wild rice recipe.
So, are you brave enough to try quesadillas with peas?
How To Make Black Bean Quesadillas
Black Bean Quesadillas With Rice
For the coconut rice
- Add black beans to a bowl
- Mix taco seasoning and freshly squeezed lime juice
- After the rice is ready, heat a large pan on medium heat. After 1 minute, spray pan with cooking spray
- Gently place a large burrito tortilla on the pan and heat it for about 30 seconds
- Raise the tortilla and spray the pan again then flip the tortilla
- Now, add the ingredients on the bottom part of the tortilla.
- Add about 1/2 cup of coconut rice
- Be sure to keep about 1/4" of space between the rice and the edge of the quesadilla
- Top with about 1/2 cup of the black bean mixture
- Top with grated pepper jack cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- Cover with the top half and gently press down
- Very gently, flip the quesadilla
- Let the bottom side brown and then remove from heat.
- Cut into 4 pieces and serve
- This recipe will make about 2 big quesadillas