Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese made with roasted Brussels sprouts and freshly shredded cheese. Its perfect for a quick lunch or easy snack recipe
This post is a sponsored post brought to you by the wonderful people at Sara Lee®. The opinions expressed in this post are solely my opinions.
Who doesn’t love a good cheese sandwich on a cold winter lunch or a lazy summer day?
I am a fan of all kinds of grilled cheese sandwiches especially my Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich with roasted red peppers
But, I also have a lot of respect for not-an-ordinary sandwich.
This is why I loooove this Brussels Sprouts sandwich. Who would think to put Brussels Sprouts in sandwiches, right?
They are always the dreaded veggies by kids.
Even adults turn up their nose at it.
Personally, I can eat Brussels Sprouts every day. If prepared right, they taste so delicious and practically melt in your mouth.
They all taste amazing!
For this sandwich, I went with pepper jack cheese. I always use block cheese that is freshly grated because it gives that stretched melted cheese deliciousness.
You can also make this a vegan sandwich by using CIAO’s Pepper Jack Cheese Slices. Their cheese also does that stretchy cheese thing.
To round out the flavors, I added red peppers along with Brussels sprouts. It gives the sandwich a nice tang taste which works so well with the Brussels sprouts and pepper jack cheese.
The bread in any sandwich is the make-or-break ingredient!
I really like a sturdy, dense and strong bread that can hold all the ingredients and not get soggy.
This Healthy Multi-grain bread by Sara Lee is the perfect bread for this sandwich. Just sit back and admire its thickness and density!
This Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese Goes best with Homemade Tomato Soup.
In my recipe, I added Brussels Sprouts, Bell Peppers and Onions. The multi-grain bread held all the ingredients in place and didn’t get soggy.
That is my kind of bread.
You can use a panini press, if you desire. Personally, I am old-school and prefer using the stove top method.
If you like veggies in your sandwich, Check out my Vegan Sandwich with fresh veggies.
Thank you for reading this Sara Lee® sponsored post for “Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese”
Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese
- 6 slices Bread I used Sara Lee 45 Calories and Delightful Healthy Multi-Grain Bread
- 1.5 cup Brussels Sprouts
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/2 cup Pickled Bell Peppers Divide them into 2 portions
- 1/4 cup Spanish Olives Optional
- 1 block Pepper Jack Cheese
- 2 tsp Sea Salt or to taste
- 1 tsp Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder Optional
- 3 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Cooking Spray
- Cut the onions Julienne style
- Chop the Brussels Sprouts into quarters
- Heat a medium sized pan
- Add the olive oil and let it heat at medium heat for about 30 seconds
- Add the onions and allow to caramelize
- Add the Brussels Sprouts and let them roast until slightly brown
- Add 1 of the portions of Pickled Bell Peppers and saute the mixture for about 30 seconds more
- Add the salt, pepper and cumin powder. Stir well
- Remove the mixture from heat and transfer to a bowl
- Shred the pepper jack cheese
- Take the same pan and heat it at medium heat
- First, add 2 slices of bread side by side. The pan should already have enough oil, but, use cooking spray if needed.
- Start layering with the Brussels Sprouts Mixture
- Top with the shredded cheese
- Add the Pickled Bell Pepper as needed on each of the grilled cheeses
- Using the cooking spray, spray two more slices of bread and place it on top
- Place weights on the grilled cheese
- After about 90 seconds, flip the grilled cheese and cook the other side. You can use the weights again, if you like