The BEST chocolate chip waffles with pecans is a very easy brunch and breakfast waffle recipe. They are fluffy, moist, airy and ready in just 17 minutes! Can also be made vegan.
Want to learn how an eggless waffle recipe?
Yes, it is possible and the results are a feathery delicious waffle recipe!
So, what do I use in place of eggs? The not-so-secret ingredient is Chia eggs!
Tips for making these waffles
- These waffles make about 4cups of batter. That should make about 4 waffles, depending on your waffle maker.
- The batter can also be used to make pancakes.
- Make the batter and refrigerate for future use. It will be good for 1 week.
- I add butter to the recipe and that makes sure that it doesn’t dry up.
- For the pecans, I used toasted finely ground pecan. I find them better than using whole pecans in this recipe.
- The chocolate chips are made by Enjoy Life. These chocolate chips are vegan friendly. I prefer their chocolate chip chunks which I roughly chop up and use in this recipe.
- These waffles are very freezer-friendly. Make them and freeze them for up to 6 months.
How to make these waffles vegan
- Vegan Sugars – For this recipe, I use Wholesome Organic’s Granulated sugar. It’s vegan friendly, fair trade and free of pesticides.
- Butter – Personally, I used dairy butter but, you are free to use vegan butters and plant-based butters.
- Milk – Almond milk or hazelnut milk is the best non-dairy milks to use in this recipe. Hazelnut is my favorite, but, they are hard to find and can be expensive.
- Vanilla Extract – I use Rodelle’s all natural vanilla extract. They are made from Madagascar vanilla bean. Read the ingredients of the vanilla extract you use. Some are made from Beaver’s body parts. If it says “Natural Flavors” in the ingredients, you must avoid buying it.
🍫 Product Tip: Enjoy Life makes vegan chocolate chip cookies which are dairy free. They are easy to find in grocery stores and big box stores too.
Difference between Belgian waffles and regular waffles
Regular waffles AKA American waffles have smaller holes in them. Belgian waffles, on the other hand, have deeper holes so they can hold more maple syrup or other toppings.
My chocolate chip waffles recipe can easily be used in a Belgian waffle maker or a regular waffle maker. I used it in a regular waffle maker because I don’t have a Belgian one.
Do you own a Belgian waffle maker and what do you think of it?
What is a chia egg?
A chia egg is simply a combination of chia and water! When they are combined in the right proportions, they have the perfect sticky texture that looks like eggs.
So, chia egg is like an egg without the use of chickens! You don’t have to wonder which one came first, LOL!
Every time I say chia, the song “Chhhhchia” Pops in my head. If you were around in the ’90s, you will know exactly what I am talking about.
If you don’t have chia eggs, you can use almond milk. Almond milk pancakes recipe and waffles turn out fluffy delicious with it.
👩🍳 Chia egg tip: To make a good chia egg, add 1 Tbsp of chia seeds to 3 Tbsp of warm water. The warm water makes the chia seeds more “slimy”.
Answering Common Questions
– Pan Fried Bananas
– Berries like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries
– Chocolate sauce
– Vegan Maple syrup
– Chocolate chip vanilla ice cream
– Nuts like walnuts, pistachios and whole pecans
If a recipe calls for 2 traditional eggs, you can easily make vegan egg. To do that, mix 2 Tbsp of Chia seeds with 6 Tbsp warm water.
The main difference between the two flours is that self-rising has all the salt and baking powder already mixed in.
👩🍳 Substitution tip: To use all-purpose flour, add 1 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt to 1 cup of All-purpose flour.
Reheating these waffles
- Use your oven for best results. You can use a toaster oven too.
- Do not thaw them. That will just make them limp and watery.
- Place the frozen waffles in a preheated oven. I preheated my oven to 250°
- Place a parchment paper on a baking tray. Line the waffles on the parchment paper, leaving about 1/2″ space between the waffles.
- Cook for about 10-15 minutes and then remove from the oven
- Top with maple syrup and your favorite toppings before devouring them.
Try these breakfast recipes
- Vegan tofu scramble
- French Toast bread pudding
- Chocolate banana smoothie bowl
- Avocado toast
- Sweet potato hash
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this recipe. If you tried and enjoyed this chocolate chip waffles recipe, please rate it 5 stars! Share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram.
Chocolate Chip Waffles with Pecans
- Waffle maker
For the chia egg
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp water room temperature water will be perfect
For the batter
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 2½ Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp pecans finely chopped pecans
- 1 Tbsp chocolate chips I use Enjoy Life's chocolate chunks that I roughly chop
- 1¼ cup Almond milk Hazelnut or regular milk will work too
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract I use Rodelle's Natural vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ⅛ tsp ginger powder optional
- If your waffle iron needs to preheated, do so now.
- In a small bowl, add the chia seeds and water
- Set it aside for 5 minutes
- In a glass bowl, add the flour and chia egg
- Add the rest of the ingredients in the order listed
- Mix well with a spoon
- Place the batter in the waffle maker. Put as much as your waffle maker allows
- Close the lid of the waffle maker and let it cook until done
- Remove the waffles and put them in a plate
- Continue making the waffles in the waffle maker until all the batter is used
- Top with your favorite ingredients and serve