Cuban Flavored Red Beans and Quinoa Made in a Slow Cooker. This is a quick and simple dinner recipe for the whole family. It makes itself, so, you don’t have to put any effort into making it. Eat them by itself or use it in taco recipes
Last weekend, I did a major cleanup in home. There were boxes, packaging materials, old clothes and so much junk eating up valuable space in my storage space.
It was time for some serious spring cleaning!
As I was pulling out stuff from my closet, I found so much stuff that I forgotten about. Also, I found about ten (Affiliate Link) Allen wrenches to add to my already large collection! My Allen wrench collection is a remnant of my tech support days.
You know what else I found?
My Crock Pot!!!!
In December 2016, I saw a sale on (Affiliate Link) crock pots at my local big box store and I just had to have it! I brought it home and my mind was making up all kinds of recipes! For now, I was just going to put it in the storage room until I was ready to use it.
Now, it was time to make a recipe in the crock pot!
This crock pot is so good and easy to use! Its light weight, cleans so easily and the inner compartment is dishwasher safe!
It also cooks food a little faster than other slow cookers I have tried. Its a 4-quart version, so, it can easily cook a huge meal for a family of four.
I think I want to try more slow cooker recipes next year. Maybe even some dessert recipes too.
What treasure items have you found tucked away in the back of your storage closet?
Crock-Pot Red Beans and Quinoa
Crock Pot Red Beans an Quinoa
For the Crock Pot
- 1/2 cup Red Quinoa
- 1/4 cup White Quinoa
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper Finely Chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp Cuban Seasoning
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2.5 cup Water
- 1 can Small Red Beans I used Goya’s Small Red Beans Can
- 1/4 cup red onions
For Garnish (Optional)
- 1.5 tsp Lime Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1 Jalapeno Optional
- Cilantro Roughly Chopped
- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot (except the small red beans, onions and the garnish)
- Mix well and set it on high
- Close the lid and let it cook for 2.5-3 hours
- Mix well every 30 minutes
- When all the water has dissipated, turn off the crock pot
- Add the red beans, onions and lime juice; mix well
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish before serving