Growing up, I cannot tell you how many cucumber sandwiches I had. There are too many to count.
So, now, I am ready for a completely modern version of the cucumber sandwich.
I bet you are ready for one too
Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich is like nothing you have ever tasted! It is definitely not your grandmother’s cucumber sandwich. The flavors are a blend of sweet, sour and salty goodness.
For this recipe, I decided to add some Asian flavoring to make it more interesting. I have always had spicy cucumber sandwich, so, I thought I would keep this recipe on the spicy end.
There is soy sauce and sriracha sauce in which the vegetables will be marinated. Doesn’t that sound delicious?
I am getting hungry just writing about it.
To round out the taste, I topped it with pistachio sauce.
Cream cheese still remains the base in this recipe. I find the texture of it to be completely compatible with any sandwich
I wanted to keep this an easy cucumber sandwich without too much fuss. You can put it into a picnic basket and enjoy it in the park, just like any other sandwich.
The Srirarcha Sauce is definitely the star of this recipe. I enjoyed eating a mildly spicy version of this sandwich.
It got a little messy when eating the sandwich, but, that didn’t stop me from devouring it all at once.
The red bell pepper and the cucumber add a wonderful crunch to this sandwich. Even the onions retained their flavor and crunch. So, I hope I have sold you on this sandwich by now. If not, I will have to bring it to your home and share it with you.
Check out my cucumber salad recipe too.
How often do you eat cucumber sandwiches?
How to make Asian Style Cucumber Sandwich
Cucumber Sandwich – Asian-Style
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1 Red onion
- 1 Cup of Shredded Carrots
- 1 Cucumber
- ½ cup of unsalted pistachios removed from their shell
- 4 Ounces of Cream Cheese (lite is better, but, you can use the full-fat version too)
- 4 Wheat rolls
- 2 tsp of Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp of Sriracha Sauce
- ½ tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of salt
- 3 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- In a mixing bowl, add the soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Heat the mixed ingredients in the microwave for no more than 10 seconds.
- Stir the dressing well and allow to marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the fridge
- Cut the Red Onions and Red Bell Pepper into julienne style cuts
- Peel the cucumber skin and cut into thin round pieces
- Roughly crush the pistachios
- In a mixing bowl, mix the vegetables
- Add the soy sauce dressing to the vegetables and toss lightly but make sure all the vegetables are well coated
- Set aside the mixture for about 30 minutes
- Cut the wheat roll into half
- Spread the cream cheese on the inside of each roll
- Start by layering one of the rolls with the cucumber
- Top with the remaining vegetables
- Add the pistachios on the top of the sandwich
- Close the top bun and cut into half
- Follow the same assembly steps for the rest of the wheat rolls