Cherries are in season most of the year, so, I am always hankering for a good cherry recipe.
This recipe is so perfect for the summer time and picnics by the beach.
The pesto and cherries make for such a wonderful combination. They complement each other with sweet and spice flavors.
I have to admit that you can do without the arugula in this recipe. Or make it as a bed of arugula right on top of the pesto.
Cherries make me very happy. They are perfect snack for when I am sitting by the computer and need something to chew on while I work.
I call cherries my “thinking food”. Whenever I am munching on them, ideas just flow in my brain. That’s how I came up with this savory flatbread pizza recipe.
It is so simple to make and you will be enjoying the pizzas in no time. Cherries added a delicious summery sweetness to the pizzas and the red onions added a nice spicy crunch to them.
This flatbread pizza, like all pizzas in the world, tasted much better the following morning. What is the science behind pizza tasting better then next day? If there are any food scientists out there, please educate me on it.
I suggest you make your very own basil pesto sauce to spread on this recipe. May I suggest this easy basil pesto recipe by Martha Stewart.
Recipe Details – (Makes 2 Flatbread Pizzas with Cherries and Tomatoes)
Flatbread Pizza with Cherries
- 2 Naans or flatbread pizza bread
- 1 cup of fresh cherries , pitted and halved
- 1 Tbsp of unsalted butter for brushing
- 1 tsp of dried rosemary
- 7 or 8 thinly sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 a cup of fresh arugula
- 1 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- 4 tsp of Basil Pesto
- 1/2 of a red onion , thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- If your flatbread is frozen, thaw it overnight in the fridge or microwave it for 30 seconds
- Place the flatbread pizza on a baking sheet and brush with the melted butter
- Layer the whole flatbread pizza with a thin layer of basil pesto
- Arrange the mozzarella slices on top of the flatbread
- Arrange the cherries on top of the mozzarella
- Arrange the red onions on the pizza
- Brush the top of this pizza lightly with the melted butter
- Sprinkle the dried rosemary on the pizza
- Place the flatbread pizza in the oven for 15 minutes
- Remove the pizza and sprinkle the arugula on the flatbread pizza
- Put the pizza in the oven again and bake for 5 more minutes
- Remove the flatbread pizza from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes