Ever had grilled cheese with chocolate? Now is your chance. Try this Grilled Cheese sandwich with Mascarpone, Caramelized Peaches and Dark Chocolate
This recipe was a complete experiment.
Recently, I read about savory chocolate recipes and it made me wonder if I could make a sandwich with chocolate.
This picture may not be much to look at, I admit. However, it tasted absolutely delicious.
It is a very sweet sandwich, so, get ready to be in a sugar coma after devouring it. The dark chocolate is the only “healthy” thing in this recipe.
I was passing by a new restaurant opening and they were handing out caramelized apple and white chocolate grilled cheese sandwich samples. I was pleasantly surprised by the combination and the taste.
I experimented with nectarines and plums which wasn’t so bad. Peaches provided the best texture and taste when combined with mascarpone.
The dark brown chocolate was a last minute substitution. I didn’t have enough left over after all that experimentation.
The restaurant used brie cheese but I went with mascarpone. It was on sale and brie wasn’t.
Overall, I was very happy with how great this recipe turned out.
The secret of this recipe is to go heavy on the mascarpone cheese because it will offset some of the sweetness of the peaches and chocolate.
Caramelized peaches are the star of this recipe. They were the perfect blend of caramelized and sweetness. The peaches were not ripe, so, they kept their shape after being caramelized.
If you like grilled cheese sandwiches like me, you are going to love my Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Sandwich and my Gluten Free Grilled Cheese Sandwich With Mushrooms
My other favorite recipe is this grilled cheese with ricotta.
What is your favorite version of a grilled cheese sandwich?
How to make Grilled Cheese With Chocolate
Grilled Cheese with Chocolate
- Slice the peaches into thin and circular strips
- In a bowl add the butter and peaches. Coat well
- Heat a medium pan over medium to high heat
- Add the butter and the peaches
- Let them cook for about 4-5 minutes until the peaches become soft
- Add the chopped mint leaves
- Add the brown sugar and stir well. Be sure to coat all the peaches completely
- Cook until the peaches are completely caramelized and most of the sugar is turned solid
Bringing everything together
- Heat a medium or large skillet and spray with the cooking spray
- If you are using margarine, butter only one side of each of the bread slices
- Spread a generous amount of mascarpone on the side of the bread that will touch the peaches
- Place the buttered side of the bread on the skillet
- Add the peaches on top
- Bring the sandwich together by layering the peaches first on top of the mascarpone side
- Add the chopped dark chocolate
- Top with another slice of bread. The mascarpone side will be at the bottom and touching the chocolate.
- Cook until the bread is slightly brown and the chocolate begins to melt
- Carefully flip the sandwich and let it cook for about 30 seconds
- Remove from the heat and serve it IMMEDIATELY