Homemade granola bars are very easy to make and they very little effort. The sky is the limit when it comes to the ingredients. I added caramel bits.
Have you heard this joke? Two Volkswagen Beetles crash into each other and a whole bunch of Granola flies out of the car!
Every time I see a recipe with Granola, I am reminded of the joke. Makes me burst out laughing each time.
Granola recipes are always associated with the “hippie” lifestyle. It might be an unfair representation, but, I find it very amusing.
Today, I made some no-bake homemade granola bars because I am really bad at baking. Or, I am too lazy to bake.
Making granola bars at home also means that I am at the mercy of my pantry. More appropriately, I am at the mercy of the paltry ingredients in my pantry.
(Say that ten times)
If I had a fully-stocked pantry, I would have added so many more ingredients. These homemade granola bars would be so great with pistachios, dried cranberries, dried pomegranates, chia seeds, walnuts, cashews or even chopped pretzels.
These bars also have an added advantage. If you are like me, you might be a little forgetful about eating your nuts. Now, I don’t need a reason to not eat my nuts.
Homemade granola bars are the easiest thing to make. They take very little effort and I get to choose what goes into it. I can go the healthy granola bars route or add a few “comfort” ingredients like caramel bits and chocolate chips.
The star of this recipe has to be the Flaxseed Meal. My readers know that I like to use flaxseed meal in almost all recipes because they are a great source of protein for vegetarians like me. They made my sweet potato curry very delicious.
If you like this granola bar recipe, feel free to let me know below.
What is the funniest joke you have heard about Granola?
Want more granola recipes? I think you will like my tomato granola recipe
Recipe For Homemade Granola Bars
1) Assemble your ingredients. Not pictured below are chocolate chips and raisins. They were a last minute addition.
2) In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix well
3) In a small pan, add the agave (or honey) and coconut oil. Heat on medium heat until they mixture starts to bubble and rise to the top
4) Slowly, add the boiled mixture to the dry mixture. Make sure you are stirring the mixture with one hand and adding the liquid with the other
5) Stir well. If you think it is too dry, add 1 tsp of agave (or honey).
6) Keep stirring until all the mixture has blended well
7) Take a baking pan and line it with parchment paper. Add the homemade granola bars mixture to the pan. Pack it tightly and also make sure there are no air pockets.
8) Place the mixture in the fridge for 4-5 hours. Remove them and cut them into bars.
9) Place the granola bars into a container. Be sure to place a parchment paper between each granola bar.
Refrigerate the bars. The bars will last about 2 weeks in the fridge.
Homemade Granola Bars With Caramel
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1/8 cup caramel bits
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt (optional)
- 1 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- In a mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix well
- In a small pan, add the agave (or honey) and coconut oil.
- Heat on medium heat until they mixture starts to bubble and rise to the top
- Slowly, add the boiled mixture to the dry mixture with one hand while stirring with the other
- If you think it is too dry, add 1 tsp of agave
- Keep stirring until all the mixture has blended well
- Take a baking pan and line it with parchment paper
- Add the homemade granola bars mixture to the pan
- Pack it tightly and also make sure there are no air pockets
- Place the mixture in the fridge for 4-5 hours
- Remove them and cut them into bars.
- Wrap them in parchment paper and store in an air-tight container
- Refrigerate the bars and use within two weeks
– Brown Raisins
– Chopped pretzels
– Dried cranberries
– Dried pomegranates
– Chia seeds
– Walnuts Nutritional info is approximate