Homemade Pop Tarts recipe can save you money. They are so easy to make using Puff Pastry sheets. Flavors include Caramel, Chocolate, Cranberry & Raspberry
“Variety is the spice of life”
Whenever I buy pop tarts from the supermarket, it is always the variety pack. I like different flavors of pop tarts because I get bored so easily.
Today, I am bringing you homemade pop tarts that have a variety of flavors.
I am betting that you like different flavors of pop tarts too.
When I was in college, I used to live on pop tarts It was the perfect for breakfast….
(and lunch, dinner or snack)
My homemade pop tarts are made with puff pastry.
I know it sounds unusual, but, I find it easier to work with it. When I roll the puff pastry into paper-thin sheets, the pop tarts come out so perfect and thin.
My favorite flavor of pop tarts has always been Raspberry pop tarts. It is sweet and sour blended perfectly with the puff pastry. For the homemade pop tarts, I use frozen raspberries because they bake very well. I think I do a happy skip and jump after I bite into a raspberry pop tart. You can also use cranberry pie filling instead of raspberries.
The chocolate pop tart flavor is nothing short of delicious. When I taste this flavor, it puts a smile on my face. There is something very healing about chocolate pop tarts.
Cranberry and pistachio is one of those pop tarts flavor that you have to try it to believe. I mix agave, cranberries and salted pistachios into a bowl first and then fill the puff pastry. Since I like a crunch to the pop tarts, the pistachios remain whole in the pop tarts. Don’t take my word for it.
Whenever I want a healthy pop tart flavor, this is my go-to recipe. Try it yourself and then tell me about your delicious experience.
If you like Pistachios and cranberries, I think you will also like my cinnamon rolls recipe where I use them as a garnish.
Finally, there is the caramel flavored pop tart. From all of the flavors, this one is the clear favorite in my household. The caramel puff pastry get devoured even before they have had a chance to cool down.
The best thing about these pop tarts is that they can be re-heated in the toaster and served for breakfast. Personally, I am not a fan of icing on pop tarts, but, you can put icing on the pop tarts after you have heated them in the toaster.
Homemade Pop tarts Recipes
Homemade Pop Tarts Medley
- 1 sheet Puff Pastry
- ½ cup vegan butter melted, use for basting
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup raspberries frozen
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp lime juice
- ¼ cup salted pistachios
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 Tbsp agave
- ¼ cup caramel bits
- Self-rising flour for rolling the dough
- Remove one sheet of puff pastry from the box and thaw it at room temperature for about 30 minutes
- During the thawing process, unfold the puff pastry gently
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Make the fillings
- For the raspberry filling, combine the brown sugar, lime and frozen raspberries into a saucepan.
- Heat for about 4-6 minutes or until tender enough to mush. If you find it to be sour, add more brown sugar.
- Mush it until the consistency is of jam.
- For the Cranberries and pistachio filling, combine the cranberries, pistachios and agave in a bowl. Mix well and set aside
Making the pop tarts
- Flour the counter top using the self rising flour
- Roll the puff pastry. Keep the square shape
- Roll the dough as thin as you can make it
- Cut about 6 rectangle shapes from the rolled out dough. They will be about 3 x 5 inches
- Fill 2 squares with the raspberry filling. Keep the edges clean.
- Close the puff pastry with 1 square each. Use a fork to seal the edges
- Brush with the melted butter and place them in a baking sheet
- For the caramel and chocolate chips, place each in separate bowls. Microwave for about 15 seconds each.
- Fill and seal the caramel and chocolate pop tarts the same way.
- Finally, fill the pistachios and cranberries pop tarts. Seal and butter the pop tarts.
- Place all the pop tarts on a baking sheet. Keep them about 2 inches apart
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the puff pastry are brown all around
- Remove and serve.