Crispy air fryer Lebanese potato salad (Batata Harra) with a tahini dressing is a very easy potato side dish recipe. Air fry them and in 15 minutes these fluffy, tangy Middle Eastern spicy potatoes are ready!
Here I go again bringing you another recipe that uses tahini!
You will thank me after taking just one bite of these creamy potatoes.
Yes, it’s that good!!
It’s going to debut at my Thanksgiving dinner this year and I am sure everyone will love it.
- Honey gold baby potatoes – I have found that Tasteful Selection’s honey gold potatoes are the best option for making Batata harra. They cook quickly and easily in the air fryer.
- Avocado oil – It’s the best oil to cook with because it can handle high temperatures. It will retain the fat bonds even after being cooked in the air fryer. Alternatively, use extra virgin olive oil. Source: Nutrisense.
- Pink salt – I have been using Himalayan pink salt exclusively and it has been so good. It has minerals and is not as “salty” as regular salt, in my opinion. Sub with sea salt.
- Tahini – It’s one of the easiest things to make at home because all I need are sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are very nutritionally potent. Among other benefits, they have good fats, calcium, and B vitamins which vegans need. Source: Medical News Today.
- Dijon mustard – Mustard has AMAZING antioxidant properties that are great for the body. I put it on so many recipes like my French potato salad and spinach salad. Source: Dr. Berg.
- Agave – This is a controversial ingredient because it’s a sugary ingredient. I tried it without agave and loved it, but it’s not for everyone. If I can find the more traditional ingredient called (Affiliate Link) Mezahar (Orange Blossom Water), I use that instead.
- Fresh lemon juice (or lime juice) – Lime and lemons are a powerhouse of nutrition because they are high in Vitamin C and Antioxidant. Source: Organic Facts and UPMC.
- Red pepper flakes – They are packed with antioxidants and boost metabolism. Source: Live Strong.
🧄 Handy Tip: If you have time, roast 2 garlic cloves and mix it in with the tahini. It will add a smokey flavor to the potatoes.
Answering Common Questions
Tahini is when sesame seeds are ground to the point that they become liquid or have a buttery/pasty texture. It’s a staple in Mediterranean and Eastern African cuisine.
Known as Batata Harras, all the ingredients in this recipe are traditional. The only difference is that I cooked them in the air fryer. Some families will add tahini and some will not. It’s a personal preference.
Add about 3-4 tsp of water and whisk or blend it. The amount of water needed will depend on how thick it is.
– The good news is that potato nibbles can also be used to make it.
– Russet potatoes – They might be cumbersome to peel and chop, but very rewarding in the taste department.
– Red potatoes – They are so easy to cook and flavor.
– Purple potatoes are a bold choice, but delicious!
– I used Potato Inspirations ® honey gold potatoes in this recipe because they have a golden natural color.
🛒 Handy Tip: Check the back of the tahini bottle when buying. They should not have any oils or preservatives.
Make ahead and leftovers
This Lebanese potato salad is best served right out of the air fryer. You can make tahini ahead of time and maybe even soak these potatoes in advance.
If you do have leftovers, store them in a (Affiliate link) glass container with a lid. Refrigerate, but use them up within 2-3 days.
This recipe uses 12 small potatoes (about 12oz) and air-fried in a (Affiliate Link) COSORI MAX XL Air Fryer. Want to understand the cooking times in it? Check out this handy guide for air fryer cooking times by Bella Vita.
P/S: This Lebanese potato salad recipe tastes even better the next day! There is also a hint of resistance starch.
👩🍳 Serving tip: These potatoes are best when served hot! Warm potatoes taste so much better, so I like to serve them right out of the air fryer.
To soak or not to soak
- Traditionally, these potatoes are peeled and soaked. This makes them less starchy.
- Chop the potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) and place them in a large bowl with COLD water for 30 min or overnight. I have also added a little vinegar to the water.
- Before I cook them, I make sure they are completely dried off.
The decision to soak them beforehand depends on how much time you have. I have made these Lebanese spiced potatoes both with or without soaking and they turned out delicious each time.
🥔 Handy Tip: Soaking potatoes in cold water and vinegar solution for 30 minutes to overnight will reduce their starch content.
How to serve these Lebanese potatoes
The beauty of these potatoes is that they can be served as a side with any meal. Potato recipes have always been a great side dish to any main course meal.
How will you serve these potatoes?
How to make a Lebanese potato salad
- Take 12 small honey gold potatoes and cut them into 4 pieces. I prefer unpeeled potatoes, but you choose your preference.
2. Put the potatoes in a bowl. Add the oil and salt. Mix well
3. In the air fryer basket, line it with parchment paper.
4. Place the potatoes in it and spread them out.
5. Place the basket in the air fryer and set the air fryer to 350°F. Put the time for 10 minutes and let it cook. Don’t set it to high heat because they will burn.
6. While the potatoes are cooking, assemble the ingredients for the dressing (Tahini, Dijon mustard, agave). Add some water to your tahini if it isn’t thick. It should be thick like ketchup. Whisk the ingredients.
7. Remove the air fryer basket and make sure they are fork tender. Handle with care, because it’s hot.
7. Transfer the cooked potatoes to a serving bowl and lime juice.
8. Drizzle the tahini dressing and mix well.
9. Garnish this amazing potato salad with red pepper flakes, green onions, and fresh herbs like fresh mint leaves, fresh parsley, or cilantro. Serve immediately (or at room temperature).
Roundup posts you will love!
Sharing is caring
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this Middle Eastern potato salad recipe. If you enjoyed this, please give it 5 stars and share it on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
Spiced Air Fryer Lebanese Potatoes
- COSORI Air Fryer
For the potatoes
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- Take 12 small honey gold potatoes and cut them into 4 pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and add the oil
- Add the salt and mix well
- In the air fryer basket, line it with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes in it and spread them out.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and set the air fryer to 350°F. Put the time for 10 minutes and let it cook.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing
- Add some water to your tahini, if it isn't the consistency of ketchup.
- Add the dijon mustard (if using) and agave
- Carefully open and remove the air fryer basket
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl.
- Add lime juice to the potatoes.
- Drizzle the tahini dressing and mix well.
- Top with red pepper flakes
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- This recipe uses 12 small potatoes (about 12oz) and air fryed in a COSORI MAX XL Air Fryer
- I used Potato Inspirations ® honey gold potatoes in this recipe because they are velvety fluffy when cooked. They absorb the tahini dressing so efficiently.
- I didn’t peel the potatoes because they cook better in the air fryer. I find that they remain crispy. But, you can peel them, but air fry for 1-2 minutes less than I did.
- Make your own tahini because it is so easy! But, if you have to buy it, look at the ingredients. Make sure the ingredients say Sesame seeds and nothing else!
- If you have time, roast garlic and add it to this recipe. If will enhance the flavors of the tahini and potatoes. Add about 2 roasted cloves.
- I like spicy potatoes, so I added extra pepper flakes. Adjust to your taste.
- Serve these potatoes piping hot for the best taste experience.