Crispy air fryer Lebanese potatoes (Batata Harra) with a tahini dressing is a very easy potato side dish recipe. It’s creamy, spicy and tangy Middle Eastern spicy potato meal that is ready in 15 minutes!
Here I go again bringing you another recipe that uses tahini!
You will thank me after taking just one bite of these creamy potatoes.
Yes, it’s that good!!
It’s going to debut at my Thanksgiving dinner this year and I am sure everyone will love it.
- Honey gold baby potatoes – I have found that Tasteful selection’s honey gold potatoes are the best option for making Batata harra. They cook quickly and easily in the air fryer.
- Avocado oil – It’s the best oil to cook with because it can handle high temperatures. It will retain it’s fat bonds even after being cooked in the air fryer. Source: Nutrisense.
- Sea salt – I have been using Himalayan pink salt exclusively and it has been so good. It has minerals and not as “salty” as regular salt, in my opinion.
- Tahini – It’s one of the easiest things to make at home because all I need are sesame seeds. Sesame seeds are very nutritionally potent. Among other benefits, they have good fats, calcium and B vitamins which vegans need. Source: Medical News Today.
- Dijon mustard – Mustard has AMAZING antioxidant properties that are great for the body. I put it on so many recipes like my French potato salad and spinach salad. Source: Dr. Berg.
- Agave – This is a controversial ingredient because it’s sugary ingredient. I tried it without agave and loved it, but it’s not for everyone. If I can find the more traditional ingredient called (Affiliate Link) Mezahar (Orange Blossom Water), I use that instead.
- Lime Juice – Lime is a powerhouse of nutrition like being high in Vitamin C and Antioxidant. Source: Organic Facts.
- Red pepper flakes – They are packed with antioxidants and boost metabolism. Source: Live Strong.
🧄 Handy Tip: If you have time, roast 2 cloves of garlic and mix it in with the tahini. It will add a smokey flavor to the potatoes.
Answering common questions
Tahini is when sesame seeds are ground to the point that they become liquid or have a buttery/pasty texture. It’s a staple in Mediterranean and Eastern African cuisine.
Known as Batata Harras, all the ingredients in this recipe are traditional. The only difference is that I cooked them the air fryer. Some families will add tahini and some will not. It’s a personal preference.
Add about 3-4 tsp of water and whisk or blend it. The amount of water needed will depend on how thick it is.
I used Potato Inspirations ® honey gold potatoes in this recipe because they are velvety fluffy when cooked. The good news is that potato nibbles and can also be used to make it.
🛒 Handy Tip: Check the back of the tahini bottle when buying. They should not have any oils or preservatives.
Make ahead and storing leftovers
Lebanese potatoes are best served right out of the air fryer. You can make tahini ahead of time and maybe even soak these potatoes in advance.
If you do have left overs, store them in a (Affiliate link) glass container with a lid. Refrigerate and be sure to use it up within a few days. These potatoes will start to grow moldy quickly.
This recipe uses 12 small potatoes (about 12oz) and air fried in a (Affiliate Link) COSORI MAX XL Air Fryer. Want to understand cooking times in it? Check out this handy guide for air fryer cooking times by Bella Vita.
👩🍳 Serving tip: This potatoes are best when served hot! They will dry out as they get colder. My favorite way to serve them is right out of the air fryer.
To soak or not to soak
- Traditionally, these potatoes are peeled and soaked. This makes them less starchy.
- Chop the potatoes (peeled or unpeeled) and place them in COLD water for 30 min or overnight. I have also added a little vinegar to the water.
- Before I cook them, I make sure they are completely dried off.
The decision to soak them before hand depends on how much time you have. I have made these Lebanese spiced potatoes both with or without soaking and they turned out delicious each time.
🥔 Handy Tip: Soaking potatoes in cold water and vinegar solution for 30 minutes to overnight will reduce their starch content.
How to serve these Lebanese potatoes
The beauty of these potatoes is that they can be served as a side with any meal. Potato recipes have always been a great with other vegetable mains.
How will you serve these potatoes?
- Take 12 small honey gold potatoes and cut them into 4 pieces.
2. Put the potatoes in a bowl. Add the oil and salt. Mix well
3. In the air fryer basket, line it with parchment paper.
4. Place the potatoes in it and spread them out.
5. Place the basket in the air fryer and set the air fryer to 350°F. Put the time for 10 minutes and let it cook.
6. While the potatoes are cooking, assemble the ingredients for the dressing (Tahini, Dijon mustard, agave). Add some water to your tahini if it isn’t thick. It should be thick like ketchup. Whisk the ingredients.
7. Remove the air fryer basket. Handle with care, because it’s hot.
7. Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl and lime juice.
8. Drizzle the tahini dressing and mix well.
9. Garnish with red pepper flakes and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Roundup posts you will love!
Sharing is caring
Spiced Air Fryer Lebanese Potatoes
- COSORI Air Fryer
For the potatoes
- 12 oz Honey Gold potatoes about 12 pieces
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice fresh squeezed
For the tahini dressing
- 2½ Tbsp tahini see note #1
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp agave see note #2
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 2 Tbsp cilantro
- Take 12 small honey gold potatoes and cut them into 4 pieces.
- Put the potatoes in a bowl and add the oil
- Add the salt and mix well
- In the air fryer basket, line it with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes in it and spread them out.
- Place the basket in the air fryer and set the air fryer to 350°F. Put the time for 10 minutes and let it cook.
While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing
- Add some water to your tahini, if it isn't the consistency of ketchup.
- Add the dijon mustard (if using) and agave
- Carefully open and remove the air fryer basket
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving bowl.
- Add lime juice to the potatoes.
- Drizzle the tahini dressing and mix well.
- Top with red pepper flakes
- Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- This recipe uses 12 small potatoes (about 12oz) and air fryed in a COSORI MAX XL Air Fryer
- I used Potato Inspirations ® honey gold potatoes in this recipe because they are velvety fluffy when cooked. They absorb the tahini dressing so efficiently.
- I didn’t peel the potatoes because they cook better in the air fryer. I find that they remain crispy. But, you can peel them, but air fry for 1-2 minutes less than I did.
- Make your own tahini because it is so easy! But, if you have to buy it, look at the ingredients. Make sure the ingredients say Sesame seeds and nothing else!
- If you have time, roast garlic and add it to this recipe. If will enhance the flavors of the tahini and potatoes. Add about 2 roasted cloves.
- I like spicy potatoes, so I added extra pepper flakes. Adjust to your taste.
- Serve these potatoes piping hot for the best taste experience.