This Lentil Salad with spiced pumpkin is packed with proteins. Pumpkin is lightly spiced & is perfect for the cold weather. Balsamic & Honey Vinaigrette
Pumpkin is the vegetable of the season and it makes sense to make it a star ingredient in a salad
The lentil salad works so well in the fall, but, it works year round.
French lentils make such great salad recipes that I can’t resist adding them.
Roasted pumpkins added to any salad makes it delicious. If you spice them up, however, they make for a very unique dish.
Frankly, I cannot wait for the cold weather to start. Spiced pumpkins are good for warming your soul. Imagine coming in from the bristling cold with a plate of this Lentil salad with spiced pumpkins
To top this salad, I went with a light balsamic dressing with honey. I found that the slight tang of balsamic is the perfect offset to the spiced pumpkins. Balsamic vinaigrette also goes great with Lentils.
I could have tried it with my Orange Dressing with Star Anise would also go great with salad.
Baby spinach, on the other hand, is perfect for this salad. It is packed with vitamins, so, you will get nourishment.
The controversial part of this salad would be the cheese. I went with Romano cheese, but, the lentil salad would be great without any cheese.
If you are a vegan, just ignore cheese in this salad. This salad tasted delicious even without the cheese.
You could add pine nuts to top this salad. Even walnuts would be great crunch to the recipe. Personally, I prefer to keep this lentil salad completely nut-free.
What is your favorite cider recipe?
How to make Lentil Salad with Spiced Pumpkin
Lentil Salad with Spiced Pumpkins
For the salad
Prepare the spiced pumpkins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add the pumpkins, oil, salt, dried oregano, pepper and turmeric
- Mix well
- In a baking pan, spread the coated pumpkins and place in the oven
- Bake until the outer skin of the pumpkin turns brown
- Remove from the oven and set aside
Prepare the salad
- In a mini processor, add the dressing ingredients
- Pulse until all the ingredients have blended well
- Set aside or prepare the night before and allow to marinate overnight
Bringing the lentil salad together
- In a plate, make a bed of the baby spinach
- Top with the roasted pumpkin
- Add the cooked lentils
- Toss with the Balsamic vinaigrette and lemon
- Top with the capers
- Garnish the lentil salad with finely chopped mint leaves
- Toss once more, if needed