A unique pie made for the Mediterranean diet. This healthy vegetarian olive pie is a Mezzetta recipe with Kalamata & Spanish Olives, onions, sweet peppers.
This post has been compensated by Mezzetta. All the opinions expressed are mine
Olive Pie is the perfect holiday recipe for this holiday season. Every year, we have a unique pie for the Thanksgiving and it is always an adventure. From sweet potato pies to tomato pies, I have had it all.
Most of the time, the adventure lies in the tasting and not the cooking part.
In 2002, we had chocolate and cranberry pie. That was the year that one of my friends was getting married at the age of 20. We had a pajama bridal shower on Christmas Eve and she got to choose the ingredients of the pie.
The pie was great, the conversations were lively and the memories of stuffed bellies still lingers in my mind.
In 2004, I made peaches, banana and coconut pie. The pie my contribution to a Thai Potluck Thanksgiving I was invited to attend. This was my first attempt at making pies using fresh fruits, so, the challenge was on.
Admittedly, the 2004 pie did not come out great. However, it was a huge success in the post Thanksgiving food fight. I think you can guess who got the pie in their face? Yes, I was the one who got the pie in my face and that was awesome! In the end, I felt sorry for the person who made the turkey.
The best holiday pie memory was in 2011. It was my last Thanksgiving in New Jersey, even though I didn’t know it at that time. The pie was the traditional Apple Pie with Ice Cream. The pie ingredients weren’t unique. However, they were mini apple pies in the shape of pine cones with the names of our favorite people on the top.
What to do with olives? That is the question I always ask myself. I find myself using them in salads mostly, so, I thought to try it as the king in a recipe. Olive recipes are now my favorite. I am going to be trying a whole bunch of new recipes in the new year.
What is your favorite olives recipes?
How to make an Olive Pie
Mezzetta Recipe for Olive Pie
- 1 pie crust
- 1 Cup Kalamata Olives Mezzetta Sliced
- 1 Cup Spanish Queen Olives Mezzetta
- 1/2 cup Roasted Bell Pepper Strips Mezzetta Deli Sliced Roasted Bell Pepper Strips
- 1/2 yellow onion Julienned
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 tsp pomegranate balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400° and partially bake the pie crust for about 10 minutes
- Wash the two olive types by running them under cold water for about 30 seconds
- In a medium pan, add the olive oil and allow to heat for 30 seconds
- Add the onions and saute them until caramelized
- Add the Bell Pepper Strips and honey
- Saute for about 3 minutes on medium-low heat
- Add the Mezzetta olives and stir well
- Add the dried spices and leave it on medium heat until all the liquid has burned off
- Stir constantly
- In a different pan, lightly dry roast the sesame seeds for about 45 seconds
Bringing the Olive Pie together
- Add the olive and bell pepper mixture to the partially baked pie crust
- Top with the sesame seeds and put the pie pan back into the oven
- Allow the pie to bake for about 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with feta cheese
- Top with balsamic vinaigrette