A Super Simple Mung Beans Salad That Is The Perfect Lunch Recipe. They are So Easy to Cook and are a Very Good Source of Vegan Protein. Add Pomegranate to this Salad for Color and an Added Crunch
If you haven’t tried mung beans before, I am willing to bet that you will fall in love with them after you try this mung beans recipe.
What I have discovered after making this recipe is that mung beans and pomegranate are a match made in heaven!
For Me, mung beans are not an exotic legume. Growing up, we used to make mung beans dal at least once a week. It was one of my favorite recipes.
If you visit the home of any Indian family and rummage through their pantry, you will definitely find them in there right next to the basmati rice.
We love our mung beans and use it extensively, mainly because they are a HUGE source of protein for us. Just one Tbsp has about 3g of protein (Source: Wikipedia).
Now that I am working on becoming a full time vegan, mung beans are always my go-to recipe for when I need protein.
Its also referred to as Moong Beans and its delicious either way you pronounce it. They have gotten a sort of “Hippy Food” status because it was over popular in the 60s.
That just makes me sad because it can really be a delicious meal when prepared correctly. In fact, sometimes all you need is a little salt over cooked mung beans and you have the perfect post-workout snack. It has proteins, magnesium, iron, Vitamin B6 and fiber.
My friend Sharon of Nut Free Wok did a great guest post recipe for a Korean version of Moong Beans Sprouts Salad and it is so delicious. Its light and spicy which makes it perfect as a side salad or a sandwich topping
I made my salad recipe with a little Indian flare. It has cumin-coriander powder and turmeric for spice. If you want to make a Mediterranean tasting salad, add homemade tahini. Or, you can even add a simple lemon vinaigrette and enjoy it for lunch.
The pomegranate steal show because they really pop in this recipe. However, If they are not in season, you can substitute with (affiliate link) dried cranberries too.
What’s your favorite recipe to make using Mung Bean?
Mung Beans Salad
Mung Beans Salad With Pomegranate
To Soak The Mung Beans
- 1 cup Mung Beans
- 2.5 cup Hot Water
To Cook The Mung Beans
- 2 Tbsp Red Onions Finely Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Pomegranate Seeds
- 1.5 tsp Lime Juice
- Cilantro Optional
- Put the Mung Beans in a small bowl
- Add the hot water and cover the bowl. Let it soak 6 hours to overnight
- In the morning, drain the water and set it aside
- Boil the 4 cups of water and add the soaked mung beans
- Cook for 13 minutes or until they can easily be mushed
- Drain the mung beans but DO NOT discard the water (see notes)
- Heat a strong bottom pan and add the oil
- Add the onions and cook for about 2 minutes on medium heat
- Add the turmeric, cumin-coriander powder and garlic powder
- Mix and then add the cooked mung beans
- Mix well and then turn of the heat after 2 minutes
- Add lime juice and pomegranate. Mix everything
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with the onions, pomegranate and cilantro