Made with fresh veggies and black beans, this spicy quinoa bowl is perfect dinner idea. Roasted habaneros add a little kick. A delicious vegan dinner idea
We are a household of spicy food lovers and we don’t apologize for it!
The training of my taste buds started very young. I remember attending festivals at the age of 7 and eating foods that included Thai Chili.
A few years ago, I was fortunate enough to attend a pepper tasting event. I got to taste many peppers that have a very high scoville scale such as Jamaican hot pepper and the Bahamian pepper. Bhut jolokia (ghost pepper) was the featured pepper of the event.
My taste buds still remember that tasting event. If there is a pepper tasting even around me, you bet your bottom dollar, I am going to attend it.
The perennial favorite in our home is the habanero pepper. Habanero roasting days are a a favorite time in our home. The aroma of a habanero raosting draws the whole family together.
In today’s recipe, I add roasted habanero into a spicy quinoa bowl. What a delicious meal this turned out to be!
If you like a sauce to mix in this spicy quinoa bowl, try this creamy avocado dressing recipe.
More Quinoa Recipes
What is your favorite spicy pepper?
Spicy Quinoa Bowl Recipe
- 1 can black beans
- ¼ tsp garlic powder divided into 2 parts
- 2 Habanero
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 2 cup quinoa cooked
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds optional
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- ¼ tsp oregano
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Cook the quinoa
- Cut the top off the habanero and remove the seeds.
- In a small bowl, add sesame oil and 1 part garlic powder
- Add the habaneros in it and coat well
- Place the habanero on an aluminum foil and roast for about 7 minutes or until dark brown
- Remove and let them cool for about 5 minutes
- While the habaneros are roasting, slice up the zucchini and squash
- Add remaining garlic powder, salt and oregano to the bowl
- Add squash and zucchini to this bowl. Spread them out on a baking sheet
- Roast for about 15 minutes or until the edges start to turn brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow them to cool
- Open a can of black beans and rinse them thoroughly
- In a medium saucepan, extra virgin olive oil and heat 30 seconds.
- Add cumin seeds, black beans, taco seasoning and mix well
- Heat for 2 minutes and set aside
- Arrange the beans, squash, quinoa and habenero in the bowl
- Serve immediately