Oven roasted Brussels sprouts with za’atar seasoning is an unique way to eat Brussels sprouts. These crispy Brussels sprouts are ready in just 20 minutes and can be made in the Air Fryer too.
I dare you to hate Brussels sprouts after you eat this recipe!
The exotic flavors of za’atar spice infuse into every molecule of the sprout, giving it the most delicious flavor ever!
And, it takes just 20 minutes or less to make it! So, get busy making these sprouts today!
Here is a quick look at the ingredients. It is to understand why these specific ingredients were chosen. To get the full recipe, go to the bottom of this post.
Brussels Sprouts – There is so much goodness in these mini cabbage! Packed with cancer fighting ingredients, fiber, vitamins and minerals, sprouts are a powerhouse of nutrition! It’s a super food for a good reason. Check out my handy guide on all things Brussels sprouts.
Za’atar Spice – This Middle Eastern spice is made with the best dried herbs! Thyme, oregano, marjoram and cumin are all proven to have anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antiseptic properties. Source: AANMC.org, Chicago Tribune, WebMD.
Shelled Hemp Seeds – If you are a vegan or plant-based eater, then you know your hemp seeds all too well. They are a very good source of Omega 3s, good fats and protein. For vegans and vegetarians, this is a powerful seed with very good ingredients. Source: Dr Axe, Women’s Health.
Avocado oil – It’s one of the best oils for your heart because it is unsaturated fat and high in oleic acid. It also contains a good dose of Vitamin E that is good for your skin. The healthy fats in it help the absorption of vitamins and protein. Source: Farmer’s Almanac, Mind Body Green.
Avocado oil has now replaced all the oils in my house, including coconut oil and olive oil.
Almond slices – Just like other ingredients in this recipe, almonds are packed with healthy fiber, fats, protein and Vitamin E. Additionally, they are also a good source of magnesium. Source: Real Simple, NASM.org.
Pink Salt – Himalayan pink salt is great for those with respiratory issues because it opens up the air waves. It also helps balance your body’s PH and regulate your blood sugar. It has 84 trace minerals that are essential to your body. Source: Very Well Fit, Good Housekeeping, BHG.
👩🍳 Substitution tip: If you don’t like almonds, you can use pistachios, pine nuts or cashews in this recipe. Add them when you are ready to serve.
Before you start, pre-heat your oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Placed the halved Brussels sprouts in a glass bowl. Add the Za’atar spice, salt and avocado oil to the sprouts.
- Gently mix all the ingredients using a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bowl and set it aside for 15 minutes. This step is completely optional, but I highly recommend it if you have the time. The flavors will slowly infuse into the Brussels sprouts.
- Place the sprouts in a sheet pan. Make sure you have a single layer. If you stack them on top of each other, you will get unevenly cooked sprouts.
- Place the sheet pan in the preheated oven. At about the 7 minute mark, you can remove the sheet pan to shuffle the Brussels sprouts. It’s not necessary if you have a single layer of sprouts.
- After 15 minutes, remove the sheet pan and let it sit for a minute or two. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of hemp seeds on the Brussels sprouts.
- Top with almond slices and mix well. Be gentle when you are mixing the sprouts because you might smoosh them.
These roasted Brussels sprouts are now ready to serve now.
Answering common questions
Yes, it’s a good idea to cut them into halve. This gives the flavors to seep into every nook and cranny of the Brussels sprouts and make them crispy.
Whenever I make this recipe for Brussels sprouts in the oven, I always half them. They turn out unbelievably crispy and juicy.
To maximize their nutrition potential, it’s best to quickly saute or stir fry them. You can do that in this recipe. I prefer the oven method because it keeps the sprout leaves from separating.
If I am stirring them, I might smoosh them or remove their leaves unintentionally.
I also find that oven cooking them makes them more evenly cooked and crispy.
Yes, you can absolutely cook Brussels sprouts in the air fryer. Set it to 350°F (176°C) and cook for 10 minutes. In (Affiliate Link) my air fryer, I can choose the fish option which is set to these temp and time settings.
These oven baked Brussels sprouts are a vegan, vegetarian and keto friendly recipe. That doesn’t mean that meat eaters AKA omnivores can’t get pleasure out of it. I am sure there are some meat recipes that would love these crispy Brussels sprouts as a side dish.
🍅 Pro Tip: Whenever possible, make your own spices and seasoning blends. Not only do you get to choose what you put into them, you also keep away preservatives and other bad stuff from your flavors.
Make ahead and storing leftovers
Finally, I have a recipe that is can be made ahead! Ideally, you really want to make this recipe when you are ready to it. But, if you are a meal prepper, this recipe will be great for you.
- Make these roasted Brussels sprouts until step 5. Instead of cooking them for 15 minutes, cook them for only 7 minutes! This way, they are under cooked. When you reheat them, you can finish cooking them.
- Then, put them into oven safe glass containers, NOT plastic containers. This way, you will be able to take them from the refrigerator and directly into the oven. Do not do steps 6 and 7 until you are ready to eat them.
- See the next section on the reheating process. Use up these cooked Brussels sprouts within 5-7 days of making it.
- Do not freeze this recipe! The sprouts will loose their crispiness and flavors.
- I also have a great make ahead recipe where I use za’atar. This red potatoes breakfast recipe tastes so good because of this spice.
🍅 Pro Tip: If you are using these Brussels sprouts in a meal prep, undercook them by cooking them for only 7 minutes. This way, you can cook them fully when you are ready to eat. Otherwise, you might have a rubbery sprout!
- Preheat your oven to 250°F (121°C).
- Take the Brussels sprouts from the fridge and place them in the oven. No need to thaw them. Just make sure the container you use is oven safe.
- Place the container in the preheated oven and cook for about 7 minutes or until they are fully heated. You can even put them in a sheet pan and cook them that way.
- Once cooked, top with the hemp seeds and almond slices before serving.
And, for the LOVE OF GOD, PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT microwave Brussels sprouts! It kills the nutrients in the sprouts and also cooks them unevenly.
If you are new to meal prepping, here are some items that got me started in my meal prep journey.
🍅 Handy Tip: Always use glass containers for leftovers or make ahead meals. Not only is it great convenience because you can put them in the oven directly, but they are also better for your health. Plastics material tends to seep into the food.
What to serve with it
These sprouts make a great meal by itself. But, it’s also a delicious meatless side dish to serve with meals like whole cauliflower. I have served them with air fryer tempeh and it was such a hearty meal.
How will you serve this recipe?
Try these Brussels sprouts recipes
Sharing is caring
Perfectly Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1½ Lbs Brussels sprouts about 30 pieces before halved
- 2 Tbsp za'atar spice
- 1½ tsp pink salt adjust to taste, see tip #1 below
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp almond slices
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Placed the halved Brussels sprouts in a glass bowl.1½ Lbs Brussels sprouts
- Add the Za’atar spice, salt and avocado oil to the sprouts.2 Tbsp za'atar spice, 1½ tsp pink salt, 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- Gently mix all the ingredients using a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bowl and set it aside for 15 minutes. (Optional, but highly recommend)
- Place the sprouts in a sheet pan in a single layer.
- Place the sheet pan in the preheated oven.
- At about the 7 minute mark, you can remove the sheet pan to shuffle the Brussels sprouts. (optional)
- After 15 minutes, remove the sheet pan and let it sit for a minute or two.
- Top with hemp seeds and almond slices.2 Tbsp hemp seeds, 2 Tbsp almond slices
- Mix well and serve it immediately.