How to cook butternut squash? Easy! Just roast it and turn it into a yogurt dip! This roasted butternut squash is a healthy dip for the football season.
I find that butternut is the hardest vegetable to work with. Every time I cut butternut squash, I seem to get a new cut on my hand.
So, what is the best way to cook butternut squash?
In my experience, the best way to cook it is by roasting it.
When I say “roasting”, I am not referring to the comedic act of making it sit on a chair and having other vegetables berate it with cruel jokes.
Although, that would be funny thing to do. Can you imagine the butternut sitting there and grimacing at all the jokes?
No, I am referring to the literal sense of the word, “roasting”. Nothing brings out the squash’s natural taste and juices quite like roasting. Additionally, roasting a butternut squash makes the skin soft and easy to remove.
Side note: this roasted butternut squash dip can also double as a spread for your sandwiches. In fact, I have also used it as a hummus substitute on many occasions.
Once I have the butternut squash in cubes, I like to mix it up with all the spices and garlic. The aroma that comes out of my kitchen when these beauties are roasting reminds me of fall in upstate New York.
Time for a short detour to interject a little whining….
I MISS NEW YORK!!!!!
Now, back to your regularly scheduled blog.
What is your favorite way to work with Butternut Squash?
How To Make A Healthy Roasted Butternut Squash Dip
Roasted Butternut Squash Dip
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add the butternut squash
- Add the Oil, salt peppercorns, sesame seeds, garlic, basil and oregano
- Mix well
- In a baking sheet, spread out the butternut squash
- Place in the oven and let them bake for about 15 minutes
- Flip the butternut squash and roast the other side for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven and straight into the processor
- Remove all "meat" from the butternut squash and place in a blender
- Add the yogurt and flax seed meal to the blender and pulse for 10 seconds at a time
- Do this until all the contents are perfectly blended and it has a smooth consistency
- Place the roasted butternut squash dip in a serving dish and top it with pistachios.
- Serve immediately.
- This dip can also work as a spread for sandwiches
- You can use this butternut squash dip in place of hummus