Saffron Yogurt Mayo – A super simple vegan mayo recipe. Use it in coleslaw or as a veggie dip. This is the quick, healthy mayo recipe so eat away.
It has been a while since I posted a recipe, but, technical issues during site redesign have taken up all my free time. I am so happy to present this saffron yogurt mayo recipe. It is a quick way to make vegan mayo.
I have made mayo in the past and it always includes an exotic ingredient. Last time, I put cardamom in it. It turned out to be very flavorful and aromatic mayo.
Today, I put saffron in it because I just love that spice. Of all the spices in my pantry, saffron is the one that I guard with my life. And why shouldn’t I? After all, it cost me an arm and a leg to purchase it. I joke that if I have to leave my home in a hurry, I will make sure I don’t leave without my saffron.
Saffron is ridiculously expensive, especially if you get the Indian variety. These 2 are the best types of saffron because only couple threads can bring a vibrant color and flavor to any recipe. They are so hard to extract which is why they are so expensive.
The Spanish version of saffron is slightly cheaper, but, it doesn’t have the same strength as others. They are also easier to find in local grocery stores.
For this recipe, I went with the Spanish variety, and used about 1 tsp of threads. If you use the Indian variety, don’t add more than 5-10 strands.
I used this saffron mayo in a red cabbage coleslaw and it was delicious!!
What is your most valuable spice?
How To Make Saffron Yogurt Mayo
1. Boil about a 1/4 of water and add about 1/2 tsp of Spanish saffron. Let them soak for about 10 minutes
2. In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of vegan yogurt
3. Add 1/4 tsp of salt (or adjust to your taste)
4. Add 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
5. Add the water and saffron mixture
6. Add 1/4 tsp of Rosemary
7. Mix well, then add 1 Tbsp of almond milk. Also add 1/4 tsp of olive oil (not pictured)
8. Add the remainder of saffron and mix well
9. Chill for 2 hours before serving
Saffron Yogurt Mayo
- Boil the water and soak 1/4 tsp of saffron for about 10 minutes
- In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of vegan yogurt
- Add 1/4 tsp of salt (or adjust to your taste)
- Add 1/2 tsp of ground pepper
- Add the water and saffron mixture
- Add 1/4 tsp of Rosemary
- Mix well, then add 1 Tbsp of almond milk.
- Also add 1/4 tsp of olive oil
- Add the remainder of saffron and mix well
- Chill for 2 hours before serving