This vegetarian spicy orange tofu recipe is made using Japanese Ingredients. Also includes Japanese peppers, orange bell pepper and shitake mushrooms.
Every time I watch Kill Bill, I get in the mood to make Japanese food.
This weekend was spent watching Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2. There are so many plot holes and there is a blatant defiance of the laws of physics.
I still love both movies and watch them. Incidentally, it is over a decade old!
Feels like yesterday….
Today, I am making a recipe that was inspired in part by watching Kill Bill and partly by Vegan Richa’s Orange Tofu recipe.
I served my spicy orange tofu over a bed of Soba Noodles, but, it works great with sushi rice.
Vegetarian stir fry recipes have some amazing vegetables. In this recipe, I use only 2 vegetables. One is the yellow pepper and the other is dried shitake mushrooms. They provide a wonderful contrast in texture.
So, what is the best way to cook tofu? I roasted my tofu on a pan, but, you are free to toast them in the oven. It should be pressed tofu because you want it to hold shape. Simply put weight on the tofu and leave it for about 30 minutes. Use the liquid in the orange sauce.
The hidden star of this recipe is the Japanese pepper, known as the shishito pepper. It is hard to find, but, it has an amazing flavor.
If you have tofu left over, make tandoori tofu skewers out of it.
Spicy Orange Tofu Made With Japanese Flare
Spicy Orange Tofu in Japanese Style
For the Orange Sauce
For the Tofu
- 3 tsp vegetable oil (or use cooking spray)
- 1 block extra firm tofu (Pressed and cut into 3 slabs)
For the Orange Sauce
- In a mixing bowl, add the cornstarch and Flax seed meal
- Add the warm water slowly and stirring while adding the water.
- Whisk well
- Add the remaining ingredients for the orange sauce and whisk again
- Set aside
Making the Tofu
- Heat a wok or large pan for about 30 seconds
- Add the oil (or spray the pan)
- Add the 3 slabs of Tofu. Slabs are easier and faster to cook
- Cook on both sides (medium heat) until they are crispy and dark brown on both sides. Should be about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for about one minute
- When the tofu is cool enough, cut them into large cubes or rectangles. Each slab can be cut into about 9 pieces
- Set the tofu aside
For the stir fry
- Using the same pan as the tofu, add the bell pepper and Japanese Pepper. If there is not enough oil, add only 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- Allow the peppers to turn brown around the edges
- Add the garlic and stir well for about 30 seconds
- Add the shitake mushrooms and cook for about 1 more minute
- Stir the orange sauce first before adding it to the pan
- Add the orange sauce slowly and stir with the other hand
- If the combination is too sticky, add 1/2 cup of water
- Stir for about 2 more minutes until everything is well coated in the orange sauce