Imagine that you are out in the blistering summer heat in July. You have spent the whole day working outside in the repressive summer heat.
You are sweating like a cowgirl at her first rodeo. You find that you have an uneven tan and your body temperature matches the sun’s temperature.
So, what drink were you thinking of all day??
What drink did you want to grab the first chance you got?
This summer lemonade drink was running all around your thoughts, wasn’t it?
Who needs a cool beer when you have this cool and refreshing drink at hand, right?
Ok, in all honesty, this drink was made for July 4th themed picnics. It works for any hot summer day.
Summer lemonade makes me very happy. It is my favorite drink. I always make it and keep it in the refrigerator.
In the summer, I have a pitcher of it sitting in my refrigerator. In the winter, I will make it occasionally because Florida “winters” are a really non-existent.
The cold summer lemonade with fruit cubes is exactly what you need. The cubes are made with real fruits and the lemonade is made with fresh lime and lemons.
The taste is a perfect summer refreshing drink.
The ice cubes with fresh fruit is the real star of this recipe. I decided to use shape the fruits in the shape of the hearts.
“Why?”, you ask.
Well, I figure this is a perfect summer lemonade for your 4th of July picnic. It may be a little corny but it is a fun way to show that you love this country.
If you can find heart shaped ice cream modes, use those instead. The shapes make a huge difference in the lemonade.
For the fruits, I decided to go with watermelon, pears and blueberry. That is a nice red, white and blue theme, isn’t it?
Ok, a little corny again, I know. But, I think THIS is the time to get all-out corny and theme crazy.
July 4th and Valentine’s day are the only holidays where corny is acceptable.
What is your favorite way to summer lemonade recipe?
To make the fruit ice cubes
- 2 Slices of watermelon , small
- 2 Slices of pears , thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of blueberries , fresh
- Water for making the ice cubes
To make the lemonade
- 8 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar (or to taste)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 limes
To make the ice cubes
- Cut the watermelon and pears into cubes big enough to fit the ice cube hole
- Add fruits into the tray. I kept each fruit in its own container but you can mix and match.
- Add the water to the ice cubes to fill it up
- Freeze for 4 hours to overnight.
To make the lemonade
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil
- Let it cool for about 30 minutes
- Add the lemon and lime juices
- Stir well
- Add the Ice Cubes and server immediately