Hearty and cheesy cast iron sweet potato hash recipe that is the perfect comfort food recipe. Made with mushrooms, bell peppers and topped with cheese – Version 2
Who doesn’t like starting the day with a cheesy hash brown recipe?
It is so much fun to wake up in the morning and have the aroma of these sweet potato fries wafting from the kitchen. My spidey senses can smell the oregano, onions, cheese and potatoes from a mile away.
You know how much I love cheese! All that ooey-gooey melted cheese is my greatest weakness
I know, I know. I am preaching to the choir!
In my younger days, we would go to all night diners at 3 am in the morning after a night of light partying. For me, the only items I could eat from the menu were hash browns or grilled cheese.
That was just fine for me. Hash browns are the greatest comfort food ever made.
I would ask them to slather it with onions, pepper and cheese. Then I would douse them in ketchup and devour them.
Traditionally, hash browns are shredded potatoes. In my case, I went with the cubed version because that’s how I like my sweet potatoes.
I decided to take a little artistic license with this recipe. I added bell peppers and mushrooms because I really wanted a hearty breakfast. This will keep me full for the whole day.
Now, I am going to go dig into this hash brown. I have plenty of forks, so, come by and dig in with me…
Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
Sweet Potato Hash
For the sweet potatoes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
For the veggies
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onions finely chopped
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups brown button mushrooms cubed
- 1 tsp garlic crushed
- 1 tsp ginger crushed
- 1/2 piece jalapeno finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp capers optional
- 1 tsp basil dried
- 1 tsp oregano dried
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
To Bake Sweet Potato
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash 2 sweet potatoes thoroughly. Use a vegetable brush to clean it and then dry it completely
- Poke holes in the potato using a fork. I poke the potato in about 5 different locations
- Lightly oil both sweet potatoes and wrap them in aluminum foil
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool while still wrapped. Cut into cubes and set aside. Also, set the oven to 425°
- While the potatoes are in the oven, make the vegetables
To make the vegetables
- In a cast iron pan, heat 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat
- Add 1/2 cup of finely chopped red onions.
- When they have caramelized, add 1/2 cup of green bell pepper, finely chopped
- When the bell peppers have softened (about 4 minutes), add 2 cups of cubed brown button mushrooms
- Cook until the mushrooms are almost crispy (about 7-10 minutes)
- Add 1 tsp crushed garlic, 1 tsp of crushed ginger, 1 Tbsp of flax meal and 1/2 of a jalapeno (finely chopped). Mix well
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes
- Add 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste), 1 tsp of olive oil, 1 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp ground pepper, 1/4 tsp apple cider vinegar and 1/2 tsp of capers (optional). Mix well
- Top with 2 cups of cheese. I used 1 cup shredded cheddar and 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted