How do You Make Tofu Delicious? Marinate Them in Indian Spices and Oven Roast Them! This Delicious Tandoori Tofu Appetizers are a Great Starter Recipe to Any Indian Feast.
I bet there have been many times you have stared at a Tofu slab and wondered, “How to cook with tofu?”
Or, my favorite question:
“How do I make tofu taste delicious?”
Well, if you like anything Tandoori, you will LOOOOVE this recipe.
The recipe is easy to make and the spices can easily be found at your local Indian Grocery Store. Also, Amazon sells the spices online, so, you have no excuse!
I am one of those people who loves Tandoori food.
Actually, let me be a little more descriptive!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE tandoori food.
That shouldn’t surprise anyone. I am Indian which makes me genetically predisposed to liking tandoori food.
My all time favorite is paneer makhani. It goes by many different names like paneer tikka masala or paneer curry, etc. I tend to judge an Indian Restaurant’s worth based on how good their Paneer Makhani Recipe.
I have ordered it at every Indian restaurant I can find and will not step into an Indian restaurant that doesn’t serve it.
As I get older and try to get healthier, I have to cut back on how much paneer I will consume. This is why I came up with my a Tandoori Tofu version.
I didn’t miss the paneer in this recipe and you won’t miss it either!
My tandoori tofu is a vegetarian recipe, but, I also provide vegan options. Coconut cream will take the place of heavy cream and you can use vegan yogurt instead of regular yogurt
Use this grilled tofu in a wrap recipe, like my tofu wrap. Grilled tofu tastes soooo very good.
You can choose to mix any vegetables with the tofu. Cauliflower, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, even small cabbage cubes will work great with this recipe. The sky is your limit!
I don’t have a tandoori oven, so, I had to make do with my regular oven. If you have a tandoori oven, use that and know that I am very jealous of you!
I served this Tandoori Tofu with an Italian Parsley Chutney. The recipe is coming soon, but, you can make regular green chutney using cilantro. If you want a good green chutney recipe, try this one by Marc at norecipes.com
So, do you have a favorite way to make tofu?
Did you do a double take?
Occasionally, I will revisit previous recipes and do a makeover on them. You probably came to this page based on this photo. It was made with vegan mayo. However, I decided to re-vamp the recipe and bring you the new version you see above. I think you will like.
How To Make Tandoori Tofu Skewers
Tandoori Tofu Skewers (Spicy)
To Make The Marinade:
- 1.5 cup Yogurt Vegan Option: Vegan Coconut Yogurt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream Vegan option: Coconut cream
- 1 tofu block Extra Firm, Pressed and cubed
- 3 Tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp ajwan seeds adjust to your taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp red chili powder adjust to your taste
- 1 tsp salt adjust to your taste
- 1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Soak 6 bamboo skewers in warm water for 10 minutes
Prepare the tofu
- Remove the tofu from the water and shake off all the extra water
- Weigh it down for 15 minutes to remove all the water
- Discard any water and cut tofu into 1" cubes
Make The Marinade
- In a mixing bowl, add the yogurt, cream tomato sauce and water. Mix well
- Add all the spices for the marinade and set aside
- Add the tofu to the marinade and mix gently
- Allow the tofu to marinade at least 30min. Marinate it overnight, if possible
Making the Tandoori Tofu Skewers
- Take one skewer and spray with veggie spray (optional)
- Skewer each bamboo stick with 4 tofu cubes.
- Lightly spray a baking tray with veggie oil
- Place the tofu skewers on the tray. Keep about 1/2" distance between each
- Brush some of the marinade on the skewers and place the baking sheet in the oven
- After 10 minutes, flip the skewers and baste. Bake for 10 minutes or until brown
- Remove from the oven and allow the skewers to cool for 5 minutes