Tomato Galette with Sweet Potatoes and Mini Sweet Peppers. Galette recipes for any occasion. Better than ordering pizza. Quick Vegan Dinner recipe
Today, my blog turns one year old!
What a wonderful year it has been!
I have met great food bloggers and food aficionados in the past year. Each one of the bloggers are super nice human beings with so much limitless talent. They have taught me so much about food, running a business, promoting my product and above all, how to be a good person.
As a result, I stand here before you, a better person today. I would like to thank everyone for making this a successful year for me and this blog.
To thank all of you, I present a colorful tomato dish that you will love to make and enjoy eating.
This dish is one of my all time favorite dishes to make. I took all the best tomatoes I could find and added them to this recipe. This includes Yellow tomatoes, plum tomatoes and beefsteak tomatoes. The yellow tomato provides a wonderful layer of taste and color.
On many movie nights, this tomato galette is the dinner meal to enjoy. It is so much better than ordering pizza, plus you don’t have to tip the delivery person.
Sometimes, the tomato galette is referred to as a tomato tart. The difference is delicious sweet potatoes. They make the base of the galette, along with the tomatoes.
P/S: Do you know how to bake the perfect sweet potato? Check out my 5 easy tips on baking the perfect sweet potato
To keep it vegan friendly, I decided not to use any cheese in the galette. However, if you want to try cheese, the best type would be goat cheese. For vegans, try this spabettie’s recipe for making vegan goat cheese. It is very easy to make and offsets the sweet potatoes perfectly.
Instead of going for a store bought version, I decided to make my own pie crust recipe. My recipe doesn’t use shortening, but, you can substitute it for the whipping cream.
What has been your favorite recipe so far?
How to make Tomato Galette with Sweet Potatoes
For the Pie Crust
- 2.5 cups All Purpose Flour (or 2 cups of Pastry flour)
- 1 stick butter cut into small squares
- 1 cup whipping cream (if you prefer shortening, use 1 cup of it)
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup ice water
For the tomato galette filling
- 1 yellow tomato thin, round slices
- 1 heirloom tomato thin, round slices
- 2 plum tomatoes thin, round slices
- 1 sweet potato
- 3 mini sweet peppers thin, round slices
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil (or fresh, if you have it)
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- melted butter to baste
To make the Filling
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees
- In a mini oven, bake the sweet potato for about 20 minutes (partial bake only)
- Remove from the mini oven and let it cool
- Melt the butter and add the salt, oregano and basil to it. Stir well and set aside
Making pie crust
- Add the vinegar to the ice water and stir well
- Sift the flour in a large bowl
- Cut the butter pieces into the sifted flour
- Add the whipping cream or shortening while mixing the flour mixture with the other hand
- Once all the whipping cream is mixed into the flour mixture, start adding the water mixture slowly
- Knead with one hand while you pour the water
- Once all the water has been added, knead the dough well until it has softened
- Make 2 balls with this dough
- Roll out the dough into a medium size circular shape
Bringing it all together
- On the freshly rolled pie crust, brush the garlic butter combination very lightly
- Add a layer of the sweet potatoes and brush with the butter combination again.
- Layer the sweet potatoes in the middle of the dough and leave ample open space so that it can be rolled over the filling
- Use very little butter to brush the sweet potatoes
- Layer with the tomatoes and peppers
- Brush with butter mixture
- Roll the edges of the dough over the tomato and sweet potato filling leaving the middle of the galette open
- Brush all the butter mixture over the galette. Make sure you get all the edges of the galette and the top of the filling
- Repeat the same steps for the second tomato galette
- In a baking sheet, place the 2 tomato galettes
- Add the whole peppercorns to the top of the tomato galette
- Put both tomato galettes inside the oven and let them bake for about 15 minutes
- Open the oven and brush with the butter mixture, if necessary. Rotate the tomato galette
- Allow to bake for 15 more minutes
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately