Quick and easy tomato salad made using Mexican ingredients like cayenne pepper and poblano peppers. Use it as a topping or for a light lunch salad.
Have you tried mixing tomatoes, avocado and cayenne pepper?
I just tried it and I don’t know why it too me so long to come up with tomato salad idea!!
If you are not into spicy foods either, don’t worry. This recipe will still work for you because you can put only a pinch of cayenne pepper into this tomato salad and the taste won’t overwhelm your taste buds.
It doesn’t stop with cayenne pepper, though. I also added roasted poblano pepper to this recipe.
Yes, I did.
Why did I add more pepper to this already spicy salad? Contrary to popular believe, poblano is not spicy at all. It is one of the mildest peppers out there. I have found that the bigger the pepper, the less sting they have. Also, the darker the color of the pepper, the milder the pepper.
Roasting a poblano brings out its natural juices and also brings down its heat. The roasted poblano becomes sweeter and slightly tangy. Add that to the roasted cherry tomatoes and I have a very yummy tomato salad on my hands.
This salad tastes great by itself, but, I tried it on a mini tostada and in a pita bread. Both tasted amazing, especially for a light lunch.
The secret to this recipe is using a slightly unripe avocado. Look for an avocado that is not soft to the touch and too hard to chop either. If the avocado gets soggy in the salad, it will take away from the texture of the salad.
However, I made this vegan tomato salad to be used as a topping in a very delicious recipe. I think you are going to really like it. It is also a Mexican recipe and I can’t wait to show it to you all!
In the meantime, I hope you like this quick tomato salad recipe. If you find creative ways to pair this salad, I would love to hear from you. Your creativity always inspires me and makes me happy.
How much spice can you handle?
Vegan Tomato Salad (Spicy)
1) Preheat a mini oven to 400 degrees
2) Wash a medium poblano and dry it. Dip a paper towel in a 1 tsp of vegetable oil and rub it on the poblano. Make sure you have oiled it completely before putting it on a tray and placing it in the mini oven. Roast the poblano for 7-10 minutes and make sure you turn it every few minutes. Let it roast all the way around
3) Cut 2 cups of sweet cherry tomatoes into halves. The key to this salad is using sweet tomatoes because it flavors well with the spice
4) In a bowl, add the cut tomatoes, 2 tsp of olive oil and 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar. Mix well and transfer to a baking tray
5) Place the tomatoes in the mini oven and roast for 7 minutes. Remove both the poblano and the tomatoes from the oven and let them cool
6) Remove the blistered skin from the poblano and cut it into 2 pieces. Remove the seeds and discard them. Cut the pepper into small pieces
7) In a bowl, add the chopped poblano and roasted tomatoes
8) Cut 1 small avocado into small cubes and add it to the bowl
9) Add 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper and 1/2 tsp of fresh lime juice. Add 1 clove of minced garlic
10) Mix well
Serve this vegan tomato salad by itself or on a mini tostada
Tomato Salad Made With Mexican Flavors
- 1 poblano medium
- 1 tsp vegetable oil to roast the poblano
- 2 cups sweet cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 avocado small sized
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Preheat a mini oven to 400 degrees
- Wash a medium poblano and dry it.
- Dip a paper towel in a 1 tsp of vegetable oil and rub it on the poblano.
- Put on a baking tray and place in the mini oven
- Roast the poblano for 7-10 minutes, turning them every few minutes
- Cut 2 cups of sweet cherry tomatoes into halves.
- In a bowl, add the tomatoes, olive oil and apple cider vinegar
- Mix well and transfer to a baking tray
- Place the tomatoes in the mini oven and roast for 7 minutes
- Remove both the poblano and the tomatoes from the oven and let them cool
- Remove the blistered skin from the poblano and cut it into 2 pieces.
- Discard the seeds and cut the pepper into small pieces
- In a bowl, add the chopped poblano and roasted tomatoes
- Cut 1 small avocado into small cubes and add it to the bowl
- Add salt, cayenne pepper, garlic and fresh lime juice.
- Mix well
- Serve immediately