This Vegan Gyros Recipe is made with freshly grilled eggplants, bell peppers, portobello mushrooms, onions and tomatoes. I topped it with a super easy Vegan Tzatziki, making this the best farmer’s market recipe – Version 2
So, this is version 2 of my Greek Vegan Gyros and I can’t decide which one I like better
The first one had most french fries. It had had Feta cheese. It was pure comfort food!
In my never ending quest to go eat vegan foods only, I had to make a vegan version of this classic Greek recipe. If you want to make this a vegetarian gyro, add feta cheese or goat cheese to it.
Making these gyros
Can I take a quick digression to sing praises of Greek food?
I got addicted to tzatziki in when I was working in New York. Nobody does Greek food quite like New York!
Gyros are one of the top 5 unofficial comfort foods of New York. If you are find yourself in Queens, go to the Astoria neighborhood and you will see what I am talking about. There is a restaurant on 23rd street that serves some of the best gyros.
I made my vegan eggplant gyros with grilled veggies because it really brings out the flavors of the veggies. If you are not a fan of eggplant, you can make this a mushroom gyro too and use french fries too.
How to pronounce “gyro”
Its hard to find anything controversial about gyros, but, there is one thing that really gets people fired up.
“How to pronounce gyro” has often been a heated debate in many Greek restaurant. I have heard it pronounced so many different ways and I am not even sure which is correct.
Personally, I like to pronounce it as “Jai-rows”. I hear that “hero” is the correct way to pronounce it, but, I respectfully disagree.
How do you get “hero” from “gyro”?
The trick to a good gyro is a heavy duty flatbread pita. It has to be strong enough to handle ALL the wonderful toppings and doesn’t get soggy under a mountain of tzatziki.
This is my favorite flatbread to use. What do you think?
You can even do a quick warming of the flatbread stove top to make it more malleable.
Version 1 of this recipe
Did you do a double take? Occasionally, I will revisit previous recipes and do a makeover on them. You probably came to this recipe based on “vegetarian gyros” where the photo looked more like the one above?
However, I decided to re-vamp the recipe and bring you the new version you see above. The original version had fries in it but the new one doesn’t. I wanted to emphasize more veggies in this gyros recipe.
I think you will like the new version.
So, feel free to provide your opinion below on how to properly say, “gyro”
Without further delay, let me show you how to make a vegan gyro
Vegan Gyros Recipe with Tzatziki Sauce
For the Gyros
- 2 flatbreads
- 1/2 eggplant cut into rounds
- 2 portobello mushrooms cut into strips
- 1 plum tomato cut into strips
- 1/4 red onions cut into strips
- 1/2 red bell peppers cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell peppers cut into strips
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt optional
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- 1 tsp lime juice
- cilantro for garnish, optiona
- 1/2 cup baby kale or any greens
For the Tzatziki
- 1/2 cucumber shredded
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley freshly chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots shredded
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp flax seed meal
- 1.5 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp agave
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1.5 Tbsp matcha powder
- 1 Tbsp warm water
- 3 cups vegan yogurt
For the Gyros
- In a bowl, add the oil, salt, red pepper flakes and spices
- Place the veggies into the bowl and mix well
- Warm up a stove-top grill on medium heat.
- Place the mushrooms and eggplant on one side
- Place the bell peppers on the grill and flip them after about 2 minutes
- Flip the eggplant rounds and the mushroom strips after about 3 minutes
- Turn off the grill and place the grilled veggies on a plate
- Take a flatbread and lay it flat on a plate
- Top the flatbread with tzatziki
- Add a few leave of baby kale
- Add a few plum tomatoes and red onions
- Add some of the grilled eggplants
- Add some of the grilled portobello
- Add grilled bell peppers
- Top with tzatziki again, garnish with the cilantro and wrap the gyros
- Assemble the second gyros and enjoy it with a friend!