Vegan Lentil Curry is a Delicious Meal Made in a Slow Cooker that is Packed with Protein and Nutrition. This Lentil Recipe Can be Done in Under 7 Hours
Vegan Lentil Curry is a staple in Indian food. We love curry and lentil is right at the top of the list. Here is a Vegan Lentil Curry recipe like no other!
In this vegan lentil curry, you will find pinto beans, small potatoes, purple potatoes, cherry tomatoes, red onions and a whole bunch of Indian spices that are great for the digestive system.
All my recipes, so far, have been quick easy meals that haven’t taken more than an hour to make. This recipe on the other, takes about 7 hours to make.
I decided to go into the slow cooker recipes because they are all the rage.
I discovered that a vegan lentil curry is best when slow cooked. Turns out, all these years, I was cooking them incorrectly. Cooking it on the stove top never let all its flavors marinate and bring them to the surface.
This mini slow cooker is my faithful appliance. It made the journey with me from NJ and it has been very useful. You can use your regular crockpot slow cooker for the same amount of time.
Turmeric is a very important spice. I added it to this recipe as it is a staple in all Indian food. It is called the world’s healthiest spice for good reasons. Click here to read all about the Turmeric.
I made vegan bolognese sauce in a slow cooker and it turned out so deliciously good! Try it for your next dinner idea when you don’t feel like cooking.
So, what is your favorite slow cooker recipe?
Vegan Lentil Curry – Slow Cooked
- 1 cup lentils dried
- 1 cup pinto beans dried
- 3 baby potatoes
- 2 purple potatoes
- 1/2 cup red onions finely chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 5 yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 cup tomato puree (canned or fresh)
- 2 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tsp kosher salt
- In a medium pan, add the oil and warm it at low heat
- Add both mustard seeds and allow the black mustard seeds to pop
- Add the cumin seeds
- Add the turmeric and cayenne pepper
- Add the ginger and garlic and saute for 30 seconds
- Add the curry leaves followed immediately by water and tomato puree
- Heat for a couple minutes and then remove from heat
- Turn on your slow cooker and allow it warm up for about 5 minutes
- Add the tomato puree with all the spices into the slow cooker
- Add the lentils and pinto beans
- Stir well once and then allow it to cook on its own for 4-5 hours
- After 5 hours, open the lid and stir. Add more water, if needed
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook uncovered for the next 2 hours
- Stir it occasionally
- Remove from the slow cooker and serve with naan or rice. Or Both! 🙂