Making vegan ravioli using Carnival squash is very easy and delicious. Perfect vegan dinner idea for the whole family. It is a quick weeknight dinner idea.
New kitchen gadget means a vegan ravioli recipe for all of my readers!
I just bout a new ravioli cutter and couldn’t wait to take it on a test drive. This ravioli cutter is so easy to use and it is the perfect size. I don’t like small raviolis or big raviolis. This ravioli cutter is the Goldilocks of ravioli cutters.
Ravioli is nothing new on my blog. I made tomato ravioli a while back and it came out delicious.
That bright pink color from the tomatoes was very eye catching and the stuffing was perfect for it.
This ravioli is also vegan but I stayed away from flavoring it. This time, the stuffing is the center of the recipe.
The stuffing in this case is carnival squash. When I saw them at Walmart last week, I literally jumped with joy. I haven’t seen them in a long time, so, I had to buy a whole bunch of them.
I love eating Carnival squash but it is a beast to cut into. Back in NJ, I would ask one of the wonderful employees at the store to chop it for me.
Here, I wasn’t able to chop it at the store so I had to think of another way to cut them.
The easiest way to chop a carnival squash is to get place it in the oven that has been heated to 300 degrees. After about 20 to 25 minutes, it should be soft enough to cut into.
I mixed my squash with regular potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Sweet potato overpowered the slightly bitter taste of the carnival squash but regular potato evens out the taste.
The dough will make about 6-10 pieces of the vegan ravioli. The squash mixture yields about 2 cups. So, I ended up having a lot of the mixture left over, but, that is good because I use it in sandwiches, naan and other recipes.
How to make Vegan Ravioli
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees and place the carnival squash whole into the oven. I put it in a casserole dish and no need to oil the squash. Place it in the oven for 25 minutes or until you can put a knife easily through the top of the squash.
2) While the squash is in the oven, I make the ravioli dough. Take 1 cup of self rising flour and place it in a bowl.
3) Add 1/8 spoon of salt
4) Take a 1/4 cup of water. I started with a half cup but ended up using only 1/4 cup of water.
5) Kneed dough with your hands or use a food processor to it. Kneed until it is smooth and the lumps are gone. If it feels too dry, add 1 tsp of almond milk. Set the dough aside
6) Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes. While it is cooling, Peel and cut the turnip into chunks
7) Cut the carnival squash into half
8) Scoop out all the seed and pulp
9) Peel the skin and cut it into large chunks
10) Place the squash and turnip chunks into a baking tray and 1 Tbsp of oil
11) Add 4 cloves of garlic. I cut them into halves and place them in the tray
12) Add 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
13) Add 1 Tbsp of dried oregano
14) Add 1/4 tsp of salt (not pictured) and mix well
15) Mix well and place in the oven. At 400 degrees, it should take about 25 minutes to roast completely
16) Transfer the cooked contents to a food processor
17) Add the 1/4 tsp of silken tofu to the processor
18) Add 1 Tbsp of dried kale. This is optional, but, I like the color contrast it gave the stuffing.
19) Transfer to mixing bowl and add 2 baked potatoes to the bowl
20) Mash well and add 1 Tbsp of almond milk
21) Mix well and set aside.
22) Roll the dough for the ravioli. Use the ravioli cutter to mark the outline. Don’t cut it the dough
23) Place a quarter-sized ball of the squash mixture into the dough and press down to make it flat.
24) Roll a second rolled dough on top of the stuffing and cut it to form the perfect ravioli. You will get about 6-10 ravioli from the dough. There will be a lot of stuffing left over.
25) Place the vegan ravioli in steaming water and let it cook. Keep it in the steaming water for about 5-7 minutes. Using a strainer, remove it from the water. Drain well and place it on a plate.
Vegan Ravioli With Carnival Squash
- 1 carnival squash small sized
- 1 cup self rising flour unbleached
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp almond milk (optional, for kneading the dough)
- 1 turnip medium sized
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp silken tofu
- 1 Tbsp dried kale optional
- 2 potatoes bake them before hand
- 1 Tbsp almond milk
- Water to steam the ravioli
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place Carnival squash on a baking tray and put it in the oven
- Place it in the oven for 25 minutes or until you can put a knife easily through the top of the squash.
Make Ravioli Dough
- Take 1 cup of self rising flour in a bowl
- Add 1/8 spoon of salt
- Slowly add the 1/4 cup of water
- Kneed dough with your hands or use a food processor to it.
- Kneed until it is smooth and lump free
- If it feels too dry, add 1 tsp of almond milk. Set the dough aside
- Remove the squash from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- While it is cooling, Peel and cut the turnip into chunks
- Cut the carnival squash into half and scoop out the seeds + pulp
- Discard skin and cut it into large chunks
- Place the squash and turnip chunks into a baking tray
- Add 4 cloves of garlic (cut into halves)
- Add oil, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt
- Mix well and place in the oven (for about 25 minutes)
- Transfer the cooked contents to a food processor
- Add silken tofu and dried kale (optional) to the processor
- Transfer to mixing bowl and add 2 baked potatoes to the bowl
- Mash well and add 1 Tbsp of almond milk
- Mix well and set aside.
- Boil about 5 cups of water
- Roll the dough for the ravioli
- Use the ravioli cutter to trace the outline (trace
- Place a quarter-sized ball of the squash mixture into the middle of this cutout
- Roll a second rolled dough on top of the stuffing and cut it using the ravioli cutter
- You will get about 6-10 ravioli from the dough. Refrigerate the remaining stuffing
- Place the ravioli in boiling water and let it cook for about 5 minutes
- Using a strainer, scoop it from the water. Drain well and place it on a plate.
- Serve with your favorite pasta sauce or Mezzetta Pasta sauce.