A simple vegan sandwich made with fresh vegetables roasted in delicious spices and put into a square pita sandwich. Top it with vegan feta cheese and it is the perfect light lunch meal
How amazing is the aroma coming out of your kitchen when you roast veggies?
Its intoxicating and in a good way, right?
This vegan sandwich is truly my new favorite recipe. It is made with all fresh vegetables that are roasted in the oven and topped with my vegan feta cheese.
I used rosemary and basil in this recipe to bring out the aroma in the sandwich and make them irresistible to the pickiest eaters.
Trying to get the whole family to eat veggies is a task in itself, especially asparagus. In our home it is referred to as the “green stick” and no one likes it (except me).
When I put all the veggies inside a sandwich and suddenly, the asparagus becomes irresistible!
This sandwich has a calming effect on people and it is packed with nutritious ingredients. Putting them in a pita bread makes them the perfect on-the-run lunch.
What vegetable does your family dislike eating?
Vegan Sandwich With Fresh Veggies
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow zucchini
- 3 asparagus
- 5 button mushrooms
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 1/2 green bell pepper
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp mint (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 a tsp of maple syrup
- 5 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 5 pitas
- 1 cup of your favorite hummus
- 1/4 cup of vegan feta cheese
- Preheat oven at 450 degrees. Chop the veggies into small pieces: 1 small zucchini, 1 small yellow zucchini, 3 asparagus, 5 button mushrooms, 1/2 red bell pepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, 1/2 white onion)
- Chop 3 cloves of garlic into strips
- Place the veggies in casserole dish. Add 1/2 tsp of salt
- Add 2 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Add 1/8 tsp of whole peppercorns
- Add 1Tbsp of dried basil
- Add 1/2 tsp of mint (optional) and 1/2 tsp of oregano. Mix all the veggies and spices using a spoon
- In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes (halved) and 1/2 tbsp of olive oil. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray.
- Place the veggies in the oven. The tomatoes will be done in ten minutes and the veggies will be done in about 25 minutes
- While the veggies are in the oven, make the dressing. Add 1 Tbsp of balsamic vinegar and 1/2 a tsp of maple syrup in the bowl
- Remove the veggies from the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and then top with the dressing. Mix well
- Take pita halves and spread your favorite hummus variety on the inside of the pita bread. Add 1 leave of romaine lettuce to the side of the pita.
- Add the veggies to the pita sandwich and top with 1/4 tsp of feta cheese. Serve immediately