This Loaded Skillet Sweet Potatoes with Tuscan flavors is the perfect one pot meals for any family. The recipe is vegan and healthy, yet, its very filling and hearty. I am always looking for family fresh meals, so, I used all fresh vegetables in this recipe and the Italian herbs bring out their flavors.
I love my skillet recipes!
I can pack so much in one pot meals which will cook all the ingredients evenly. One of my all time favorite one pan meals is my Vegan Mexican Gnocchi. Its a breeze to make and a much quicker clean up process.
There is a special comfort food feeling when devouring a recipe made in a skillet, isn’t it?
Nonstick Covered Fry Pan vs Cast Iron Skillet?
So, I made this recipe 3 different times. The first time, I made it in a casserole dish and put it in the oven to cook by itself. I wasn’t pleased with the results, so, I decided to make it in a covered fry pan. It came out really good and I photographed the recipe immediately. It was all set to be posted, when an idea came to me. I made it a third time and this time, I used a cast iron skillet.
It was very delicious and the skillet was a time saver. However, the images didn’t come out too well, so, I ended up using the images of the fry pan. The skillet allowed me to put the whole pan in the oven and let it cook by itself. The fry pan allowed me to see the whole cooking process and also made my kitchen have a delicious aroma.
Bottom line is that you can go with the pan you have on hand and it will be delicious either way.
These Cast Iron Skillet sweet potatoes are just too irresistible. I used baby sweet potatoes because they fit better in this skillet and they cook faster.
Plus, they are so cute!
These baby sweet potatoes also make delicious jalapeno appetizers.
The baby sweet potato is loaded with fresh veggies like zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms and carambola! I had half of a carambola left over after I made some burritos (recipe coming soon) and didn’t want them to go to waste. So, I cut them into small pieces and added them to this recipe. If you don’t have them, its ok to skip them in this recipe.
The baby sweet potatoes taste better when you bake them separately. I used my 5 tips on how to bake the perfect sweet potato to bake them and they turned out to be delicious. The only difference is to bake them for only 30 minutes since they are the baby sweet potatoes.
I have a beautiful vegan loaded sweet potato recipe that is equally delicious. I like it for a light lunch recipe or as a delicious side meal.
What’s your favorite one pot vegan meal?
Related: I have more family fresh meals that you are going to love – “Broccoli Rice Casserole” and “Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff with Pumpkins“
So, how do you make skillet sweet potatoes? Here is how I made this easy one pot meal:
Skillet Sweet Potato
- 8 oz Mushrooms I used brown button mushrooms
- ½ Red Bell Pepper
- ½ Green Bell Pepper
- ¼ Red Onion
- 1 Zucchini
- ½ Carambola
- 1.5 Roma Tomato
- 6 Baby Sweet Potatoes You can use 6-8 baby sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1.5 Tbsp Parsley dried or fresh
- 1.5 Tbsp Oregano dried or fresh
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Ginger shredded
- 1.5 tsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp peppercorns optional
- ¼ cup Artichoke hearts From a Can
- 1.5 Tbsp Salt Adjust to taste
- ½ cup Tomato Sauce
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- 1 can Light Coconut Milk
- ½ cup Water
For The Garnish
- 2 leaves Mint
- 2 Tbsp Red Onions finely chopped
- 1 tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- ½ Roma Tomato finely chopped
For the sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Bake the sweet potatoes for 25 minutes (use my 5 tips on baking the best sweet potatoes)
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool (keep the skin on)
- If you are using a cast iron skillet, turn the oven temp to 375°. Otherwise, turn it off.
For the vegetables
- While the potatoes are roasting, Chop the mushrooms into thin slices
- Chop the remaining veggies into small cubes (including the artichoke hearts)
- Heat a 12″ skillet or fry pan on medium heat for 30 seconds
- Add the oil and cumin seeds. Heat for 30 seconds
- Add the garlic and ginger
- Add all the veggies to the pan and roast for about 15-20 minutes until the mushrooms are crispy.
- Add the Roma tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix well
- Slit the sweet potatoes without cutting them into halves
- Place the potatoes in the pan and cook for 15 minutes on low heat (or in the oven for 10 minutes, if using a skillet)
- When the coconut milk starts to bubble, turn off the heat
- Drizzle some of the cream and veggies on the baby sweet potatoes
- Garnish the skillet with the onions, chopped mint leaves and crushed black pepper
- Serve immediately
Have Questions? Tried a recipe? Want to voice an opinion?