Everything you love about vegan sweet potato casserole, now in individual tartlets. These tartlets are easy to make for your vegan Thanksgiving dessert. This recipe can be made in the air fryer or regular oven.
Every Thanksgiving, there is always a fight over who gets to eat the last of the sweet potato casserole!
So, this year, I decided to do something about it because these dessert is too important
I turned it into individualized and mini sweet potato casserole tartletes!
This should solve the problem!
Tips for making these tartlets
- You can use Muffin tray instead of using the tart pans I used. I used (Affiliate Link) Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-stick Round Tart Pans 4.75Inch Pack of 6
- Marshmallows are not important this recipe. The tartlets will taste just as good with a pecan top.
- The chia egg is key to this recipe. It binds the sweet potatoes. So, don’t skip it.
- Here is how I bake the perfect sweet potato. Trust me, your sweet potato is going to turn out so moist and delicious.
- My recipe makes 4 mini tartlets. My air fryer is the Cosori Max XL
- If you are using marshmallows, be sure to put it in right before you are ready to serve. They will taste great when they are still hot
- For the non-dairy milk, I used almond milk, but coconut milk works just as well
- I made extra pecan crumble because I keep it for other recipes like my blueberry crumble.
- You don’t need to make the pecan crumble. You can eliminate the flour and just use pecans, sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- If you are using the oven method, please be sure to put the tart pan on a baking dish. The marshmallow can spill out of the pan and into your oven. Believe me, when I say that it makes a HUGE mess.
- I served the tartlets right out of the pan. You can remove them from the pan first, before serving. I just found that they are less messy when served out of the pan.
- The potato skins can put into compost or used to make vegetable stock.
- Don’t leave the vegan marshmallows outside, once removed from their bag. They tend to get sticky and harder to work with.
Thankful for vegan marshmallows
No, traditional marshmallows are NOT vegetarian or vegan friendly because they use gelatin in it.
Wikipedia does a good job of explaining gelatin. Basically, it’s an animal-derived product.
There was a time in the early 90s and until about 2014ish when we couldn’t get vegan marshmallows. It was a very dark time in vegan history.
Then, came along Dandies Vegan Marshmallows and vegans all over the universe rejoiced! Happy days were here again!
These plant-based marshmallow tastes just like the regular marshmallow, yet it’s made without corn syrup or gelatin. They melt just like regular marshmallows and so, they can be used in many recipes.
A note about my marshmallows. These vegan marshmallows are not easy to find in my area. When I do find them, I always find the big ones. I just end up cutting them to smaller pieces and they work just as well.
If all else fails, I can always order them from (Affiliate Link) Amazon. They are expensive, but works in a pinch.
Instant pot baked sweet potatoes
- Wash your sweet potatoes thoroughly first.
- Make tiny, shallow slits all around the sweet potatoes
- Add about 3/4 cup of water in your instant pot inner container
- Put two sweet potatoes in it
- Close the lid and power it on
- Choose the porridge option and remove the “Keep Warm” option.
- This should take about 20-25 minutes to bake completely.
- Let the valve drop before opening the lid
- Remove the sweet potatoes and let them cool before using them.
P/S: These instant pot instructions were successfully tested in my 6qt Instant Pot Duo.
If you are on a time crunch, the instant pot is always ready to rescue you. It’s a fuss free way of baking them.
The winner is the oven!
I made this sweet potato casserole in the oven and in the air fryer. Overall, the oven is the better way to go even though it takes longer.
The marshmallows didn’t go flat once removed from the oven. In the air fryer, they went flat quickly.
Also, since I have the smaller air fryer, I was able to fit only 2 tart pans at a time. So, I had to run the air fryer twice.
As far as taste, they both tasted the same once they were cooked.
What makes this casserole vegan?
The marshmallows used are plant-based, vegan friendly. Also, the sugar used in this vegan sweet potato casserole is vegan friendly. I used Wholesome’s Organic Fair Trade dark brown sugar
What’s the difference between sweet potato pie and casserole?
Sweet potato pie has a pie crust and a casserole is made in a casserole dish without a crust.
Also, in a pie, the sweet potato is pureed. In a casserole, you can just mush the sweet potato
That’s the main difference between the two. Otherwise, in taste they are similar.
Should you boil or bake sweet potatoes
Baking sweet potatoes is, by far, the best way to make sweet potatoes for this casserole. They turn out moist and delicious.
It does take longer to bake them then boil them. I love how Martha Stewart makes boiled sweet potatoes.
Can you make casseroles in the air fryer?
Yes, it’s very easy to make sweet potato casserole in the air fryer. Use a container like (Affiliate Link) this baking pan from Amazon.
The casserole will turn out smooth and fluffy!
P/S: You MUST make hasselback baby sweet potatoes in the air fryer.
Can you overcook sweet potatoes?
Yes, it is possible to overcook them because prolonged heat will destabilize their molecular structure. It will turn rock hard and become inedible.
Basically, you want to cook it just to the point that it is soft. In the instant pot, that’s at about the 25 minute mark. In the oven, it’s at about the 1hr 15min mark.
This recipe should make all the difference at my Thanksgiving table. I am looking forward to a happy, peaceful, quite, no-fights Thanksgiving dinner!
Ah, who am I kidding!! There is always going to be something to fight about, right? That’s what Thanksgiving is all about!
But, I am glad the fight won’t be over vegan sweet potato casserole!
Don’t be shy, chime in below in the comments. Let me hear your opinion on this recipe.
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Tartlets
- COSORI Air Fryer
- Wilton Perfect Results Premium Non-Stick Bakeware Round Tart (4.75Inch)
For the chia egg
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 3 Tbsp water
For the sweet potato mixture
- 1.65 Lbs baked sweet potatoes about 2 medium sized potatoes, organic if possible.
- 2 Tbsp almond milk or coconut milk
- 1.5 Tsp dark brown sugar organic, vegan
- 1/2 tsp ground flax seeds optional
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
For the pecan crumble
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp all purpose flour optional
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp ground flax seeds optional
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter cut into small pieces, you can use regular butter too
- 2 drops lemon extract optional
- 24 pieces vegan marshmallows see notes
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter for basting, you can use regular butter too
Making the chia egg
- In a small bowl, mix the water and chia seeds
- Set it aside for 5 minutes or until it becomes a gelatinous mixture
Making the sweet potato mixture
- Remove the pulp from the baked sweet potato and put the potato skins into compost
- Put the pulp in a bowl and add the almond milk
- Mash the pulp and add the remaining ingredients for the sweet potato mixture
- Mix well and set it aside.
- Baste the tart pans using vegan butter
- Transfer about 3/4 cup of the sweet potato mixture to each pan and level it
- If using air fryer, place the tartlets in the basked and bake at 350°f for 10 min
- If using the oven, place the tartlets in your oven over a baking dish and bake at 350°F for 15 min
Making the pecan crumble
- In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients for the pecan crumble and place in refrigerator until ready to use
Topping with the pecan crumble
- Once the tart pans are cooled down, top it with the pecan crumble
- For air fryer, place the tart pans in the basket. Bake at 350°F for 5 Min
- If using the oven, place the tartlets in your oven over a baking dish and bake at 350°F for 15 min or until the sugar has melted
Topping with vegan marshmallows
- Arrange marshmallows on top of the pecan crumble
- For air fryer, place the tart pans in the basket. Bake at 350°F for 5 Min or until the marshmallows have browned
- If using the oven, place the tartlets in your oven over a baking dish and bake at 350°F for 15 min or until the marshmallows have browned