Quick and easy freezer-friendly vegan taquitos that are perfect for school lunches. Made with mushrooms and refried beans. Bake these taquitos instead of frying them.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Family Celebrations available at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine.
This is the first time I have made taquitos.
I don’t know why it took me so long because they are so much fun to make.
The roasted Portobello mushrooms in this recipe are the perfect size to be rolled into taquitos. They also add a “meaty” texture to the recipe.
What are Taquitos
- Taquitos as “mini tacos” or “rolled tacos”
- They are usually rolled with corn tortillas and fried
- The ingredients of a taquito are infinite. My favorite taquitos always include refried beans
- Taquitos can be served with creama or Guacamole
Baked vs Fried
Taquitos are best when fried because they retain their shape. Also, they taste so much better when fried.
However, I prefer baking them because they are healthier that way. They can be very crispy and delicious when baked. All I have to do is lightly brush them with oil on the outside and bake them in the oven.
Shopping list for these Vegan Taquitos
1) Isadora Refried Beans (0.55 cents off in September, 2018)
2) Mission® Tortilla (0.55 cents off in September 2018)
3) La Banderita ($1 off on any two La Banderita Soft flour tortillas in September 2018)
4) Any Salsa variety (I got the La Mexicana Salsa)
5) Pre-sliced portobello mushrooms 6oz. Or you can use a mushroom medley and turn any leftovers into a vegan mushroom sandwich
6) Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning
Isadora Refried Beans Pouch
The Isadora refried beans are so easy to prepare. They come in a pouch and you just have to heat them up in the microwave for one minute.
That’s it! You don’t need to worry about opening a can or spending an hour making refried beans at home in the pressure cooker. Isadora makes it very easy for you to make dinner.
Also, I contacted the company and confirmed with them that their product is fully vegan. They don’t use animal fat or lard in their refried beans. YAY!
What’s your favorite way to make taquitos
More Easy Mexican Recipes
These quick and easy Mexican recipes are the perfect snack, dessert or meal. Which one is your favorite?
Step-by-step process of making baked Vegan Taquitos
1) Preheat oven to 400°
2) In a bowl, add the portobello mushrooms slices
3) Add the oil to the mushrooms
4) Add taco seasoning. Mix well
5) Lay the mushrooms flat on an oiled baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until they are browned
6) Remove and let them cool. Keep the oven on at 400°
7) Place the Isadora refried beans pouch in the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Remove and set aside
8) Take 2 corn tortillas at a time and place them between wet paper towels.
9) Microwave them for 10 seconds. Place one corn tortilla on a plate
10) Open the beans pouch and place about 1 tbsp of it closer to the edge of the corn tortillas
11) Place one roasted mushroom on the refried beans
12) Drizzle 1 tsp of salsa on the mushrooms
13) Roll the tortillas tightly and place them on the baking tray
14) Continue for all the tortillas
15) At this point, you can individually wrap and freeze them for future use
16) Generously brush the taquitos with oil
17) Place rolled taquitos on a baking tray
18) Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the taquitos are browned.
18) Serve with my creamy avocado dressing or guacamole
Printable Vegan Taquitos Recipe Card
- 10 Corn Tortillas Or 10 Flour Tortillas
- 6 oz Sliced Portobello Mushrooms About 10 slices
- 15.2 oz Isadora refried beans 1 packet
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 Tbsp Oil for brushing the taquitos
- 2 Tbsp Oil for roasting mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400°
- In a bowl, add the mushrooms, oil and seasoning. Mix well
- Lay the mushrooms flat on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until they are browned
- Remove and let them cool. Keep the oven on at 400°
- Lightly spray a baking tray
- Place the refried beans pouch in the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Remove and set aside
- Take 5 corn tortillas at a time and place them between wet paper towels.
- Microwave them for 10 seconds
- Open the beans pouch and place about 1 tbsp of it closer to the edge of the corn tortillas
- Place one roasted mushroom on the refried beans
- Drizzle 1 tsp of salsa on the mushrooms
- Roll the tortillas tightly and place them on the baking tray
- Continue for all the tortillas
- At this point, you can individually wrap and freeze them for future use
- Generously brush the taquitos with oil and place the tray in the oven
- Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the taquitos are browned.
- Serve with my creamy avocado dressing or guacamole