Quick and easy freezer-friendly vegan taquitos that are perfect for school lunches. Made with mushrooms and refried beans. Bake these taquitos instead of frying them.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Family Celebrations available at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine.
This is the first time I have made taquitos.
I don’t know why it took me so long because they are so much fun to make.
The roasted Portobello mushrooms in this recipe are the perfect size to be rolled into taquitos. They also add a “meaty” texture to the recipe.
What are Taquitos
- Taquitos as “mini tacos” or “rolled tacos”
- They are usually rolled with corn tortillas and fried
- The ingredients of a taquito are infinite. My favorite taquitos always include refried beans
- Taquitos can be served with creama or Guacamole
Baked vs Fried
Taquitos are best when fried because they retain their shape. Also, they taste so much better when fried.
However, I prefer baking them because they are healthier that way. They can be very crispy and delicious when baked. All I have to do is lightly brush them with oil on the outside and bake them in the oven.
Shopping at Publix
Everyone knows how much time I spend at Publix! There are many days where I visit it twice a day. One trip is to get the things I need and the second trip is to go look at all the wonderful Publix deals!
Lucky for me, Publix ALWAYS has deals where I am saving money. I can’t tell you how many tomatoes I have gotten from there because they were on sale. I clear out their shelves whenever they have Campari tomatoes on sale.
Family Celebrations coupon flyer at Publix
For this vegan taquitos recipe, I bought all the ingredients at Publix for $15. That includes the Isadora® Refried Beans, La Banderita Tortillas, mushrooms, salsa and avocados.
For the month of September, go to their microsite (https://www.getthesavings.com/familycelebrations) and print all your coupons. You can save over $35 in savings! They have so many ingredients that you can choose from and come up with all kinds of creative recipes.
The list includes cleaning supplies, household items and so much more. One-stop shopping is always fun! I like that I don’t have to go all over town in the summer heat to get my shopping done.
These savings start on September 1st, 2018 and end on September 30th, 2018. Get the coupon flyer online through their site and print as many coupons as you want in September. I am going to be one of those people who will hand a gazillion coupons to the lovely Publix cashiers!
My list already includes toothpaste, fabric softener, dish liquids and the list is only going to get bigger! What does your list look like?
I discovered these frozen tostones at Publix because of this coupon flyer.Let me tell you that they are DELICIOUS! I just lightly fried them and served them with avocado salsa. If you are looking for a quick after school snack for kids, try these tostones!
Shopping list for these Vegan Taquitos
1) Isadora Refried Beans (0.55 cents off in September, 2018)
2) Mission® Tortilla (0.55 cents off in September 2018)
3) La Banderita ($1 off on any two La Banderita Soft flour tortillas in September 2018)
4) Any Salsa variety (I got the La Mexicana Salsa)
5) Pre-sliced portobello mushrooms 6oz
6) Taco Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning
Isadora Refried Beans Pouch
The Isadora refried beans are so easy to prepare. They come in a pouch and you just have to heat them up in the microwave for one minute.
That’s it! You don’t need to worry about opening a can or spending an hour making refried beans at home in the pressure cooker. Isadora makes it very easy for you to make dinner.
Also, I contacted the company and confirmed with them that their product is fully vegan. They don’t use animal fat or lard in their refried beans. YAY!
What’s your favorite way to make taquitos
Step-by-step process of making baked Vegan Taquitos
1) Preheat oven to 400°
2) In a bowl, add the portobello mushrooms slices
3) Add the oil to the mushrooms
4) Add taco seasoning. Mix well
5) Lay the mushrooms flat on an oiled baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until they are browned
6) Remove and let them cool. Keep the oven on at 400°
7) Place the Isadora refried beans pouch in the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Remove and set aside
8) Take 2 corn tortillas at a time and place them between wet paper towels.
9) Microwave them for 10 seconds. Place one corn tortilla on a plate
10) Open the beans pouch and place about 1 tbsp of it closer to the edge of the corn tortillas
11) Place one roasted mushroom on the refried beans
12) Drizzle 1 tsp of salsa on the mushrooms
13) Roll the tortillas tightly and place them on the baking tray
14) Continue for all the tortillas
15) At this point, you can individually wrap and freeze them for future use
16) Generously brush the taquitos with oil
17) Place rolled taquitos on a baking tray
18) Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the taquitos are browned.
18) Serve with my creamy avocado dressing or guacamole
Printable Vegan Taquitos Recipe Card
Quick and easy vegan baked taquitos. Serve with my creamy avocado dressing or guacamole
- 10 Corn Tortillas Or 10 Flour Tortillas
- 6 oz Sliced Portobello Mushrooms About 10 slices
- 15.2 oz Isadora refried beans 1 packet
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 Tbsp Oil for brushing the taquitos
- 2 Tbsp Oil for roasting mushrooms
Preheat oven to 400°
In a bowl, add the mushrooms, oil and seasoning. Mix well
Lay the mushrooms flat on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes or until they are browned
Remove and let them cool. Keep the oven on at 400°
Lightly spray a baking tray
Place the refried beans pouch in the microwave and heat for 1 minute. Remove and set aside
Take 5 corn tortillas at a time and place them between wet paper towels.
Microwave them for 10 seconds
Open the beans pouch and place about 1 tbsp of it closer to the edge of the corn tortillas
Place one roasted mushroom on the refried beans
Drizzle 1 tsp of salsa on the mushrooms
Roll the tortillas tightly and place them on the baking tray
Continue for all the tortillas
At this point, you can individually wrap and freeze them for future use
Generously brush the taquitos with oil and place the tray in the oven
Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the taquitos are browned.
Serve with my creamy avocado dressing or guacamole
Nutrition information is approximate