If you are looking for a quick weeknight dinner, this vegetarian enchilada is perfect. It comes together in under 30 minutes and requires minimum effort.
There are days when I just don’t want to cook!
You know the days I am talking about, right?
The traffic was a nightmare and you had a tough day at work.
Once in a while, it is ok to not cook a dish from scratch.
For me, I spent the holiday season cooking up a storm and I couldn’t bring myself to cook a huge meal yesterday.
I was just popped!!
Personally, I am taking a vacation from my kitchen. There is going to be a lot of take-out for the next couple weeks.
I give you permission to take a vacation too!
This vegetarian enchilada recipe is quick and fast. It will guarantee that you won’t be in the kitchen for more than thirty minutes.
I have often been asked to make recipes for college students, who neither have the time nor the energy to cook from scratch. Not to mention, they have flies in their wallet where there should be money.
So, this vegetarian enchilada would be perfect for them because they are using cheap ingredients to make a healthy, fulfilling recipe.
I like adding tomatoes to this recipe. Cherry tomatoes make a great addition to the recipe and also give it a little healthy flare. When you bite into this tomato, your vegetarian enchilada gets a whole new level of wonderful deliciousness. I like to marinate the tomatoes with oil and some of that taco seasoning.
Also add onions to your vegetarian enchilada because it will add a crunch to your dish. Can you imagine the burst of flavors when you bite into this? The spicy beans, the onions and the tomatoes make for a wonderful taste.
I use the large tortillas because you can get full in just one enchilada. You can try it with the smaller ones but I don’t recommend it.
In a baking dish, the large tortillas sit nice and snugly. These is important because they cook faster when they are together. They give their heat to the other and vice versa.
You are definitely going to need the whole can of enchilada sauce. Infact, don’t be afraid to use more than one can. When the sauce is in the oven, it will burn off. So, the more sauce you have, the better.
Now, comes the best part! The CHEESE!
Sharp cheddar cheese is so awesome in this recipe. I have experimented with several other cheeses for this recipe and nothing comes close to this cheese. It adds a wonderful sharpness to the vegetarian enchilada. Combined with tomato, onions and beans, you will be in heaven with your first bite!
So, are you planning to get take out for the next few weeks?
Recipe Details (makes 4 vegetarian enchilada)
Quick weeknight vegetarian enchilada recipe for the whole family.
- Pre heat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, add the tomatoes, 1 tsp of olive oil and 1 tsp of taco seasoning. Set aside for 10 minutes
- Chop the onions finely
- Open the tin cans
- Spray the baking dish with cooking spray or you can oil it.
- In a medium sauce pan, add the remaining oil
- Add the cumin seeds and allow them to brown just a little
- Add the refried beans
- Add the water and the taco seasoning
- Stir well for about 5 minutes
Take 1 tortilla and heat it up for about 7 seconds in the microwave
- On a chopping board, place the warm tortilla
- Put a spread of the beans in a line on the tortilla
- Add 3 cherry tomatoes
- Add the onions
- Roll them up tightly and place it on the baking dish.
- Repeat for the remaining tortillas
- Generously spread the enchilada sauce on the vegetarian enchiladas
- Add the shredded sharp cheddar cheese to the enchiladas
- Place in the oven for about 18 minutes or until cheese is melted
Garnish with the coriander and red onions
- Keep a side of the enchilada sauce for your guests.