Vegetarians and vegans can also enjoy sushi now. This vegetarian sushi is a perfect recipe and is very simple. The star of the sushi is the Mustard sauce.
At sushi restaurants, I am left sucking on the wasabi sauce while my friends devour sushi recipes after sushi recipes!
Makes me wonder why I even go with them to these restaurants
I tried vegetarian sushi only one time in my life and it wasn’t good.
After that, I stayed away from it completely.
You know what they say? If you can’t find vegetarian sushi, then you make the vegetarian sushi!
Recently, a friend decided to create a mock sushi just for me. She put rice and fruits together into a sushi-like shape
My mind knew that it wasn’t sushi, but, my mouth didn’t care!
It was so delicious and she paired the fruits perfectly with the rice. Someday, I will get her to give me the recipe.
Now, I am on the hunt for the perfect vegetarian sushi restaurant. I don’t like seaweed, but, I will get accustomed to it someday.
Here is my contribution to the sushi world. It is my first attempt, so, hope you like it. I am realizing that vegetarian sushi recipes are complex to make, photograph or write about. I am hoping that I will get better at it.
This is a simple version and I intend to have a different version of the recipe in the near future.
I included only veggies in this recipe. If you want to include other ingredients, go with avocado, watermelon or even apples.
What is your favorite type of sushi?
How to make Vegetarian Sushi
- 2 tsp Honey Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp mirin
For the Sushi Rice
For the sushi ingredients
- 1 bell pepper (orange or red)
- 1 medium cucumber
- 2 long carrots
- 1/4 red cabbage
- 1/2 red onion
- 3 dried seaweed
- Peel the cucumber and carrots
- Using the peeling knife, cut long, thin strips of the carrot and cucumber
- Julienne chop the onion and the bell pepper
- Cut the Red Cabbage in long, thin strips
For the Mustard Sauce
- Mix the mustard, milk and mirin in a small mixing bowl. Make sure it is thick in consistency
- Set aside
For the Rice
- Place the rice into a mixing bowl and cover with cool water. Stir the rice and the water
- Drain the water and repeat 2 to 3 times- Place the rice and 2 cups of water into a medium saucepan and place over high heat
- Keep it uncovered while bringing it to a boil
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow it to stand covered for 10 minutes- In a mixing bowl, mix the rice vinegar (or mirin), sugar and sesame seed
- Heat in the microwave on high for about 30 seconds
- Fold the rice mixture thoroughly and coating each grain of rice
- Allow to cool to room temperature before assembling the sushi
- Assembling the sushi
- On the sushi mat, tear a cellophane piece which is the same size as the mat
- Take one dried seaweed and place it shiny side up
- Spread an even layer of sushi rice on the seaweed.
- Flip the rice and seaweed, so that the dull side of the seaweed is now on the top.
- Spread the mustard sauce on the seaweed
- Layer the sushi with the cucumber, carrots, onions, red cabbage and bell pepper
- Roll the vegetarian sushi and then cut in pieces.
- Repeat the steps for all the remaining dried seaweed
- Cut the vegetarian sushi roll into small pieces.
- Serve with a side of Soy sauce and wasabi salsa