Granita Recipe made with fresh watermelon. It is the perfect summer recipe and it is better than shaved ice
What better way to say goodbye to summer than with this watermelon granita recipe?
Eat this while you are sitting on the porch and watching a beautiful sunset.
My motto, of late, is appreciating the simple things in life and smelling the roses when I can.
I absolutely love watermelon because I can use it in so many things and its flavor always compliments the recipe.
I had some watermelon and other melons left over from my arugula salad that I posted a couple weeks ago. The question became, “What to do with the leftover watermelon?”.
I could have gone with slushies but I wanted to make a delicious watermelon dessert that even kids can enjoy it. This granita recipe was perfect for it.
The best way to make this was to make it was to add ice, watermelon and sugar and blend it. Once it was the perfect blend of taste and texture, I transferred it to a bread pan that was lined with parchment paper.
I froze the mixture for about 4 hours and then used an ice cream scoop to create a shaved ice effect.
There are so many happy childhood memories associated with eating shaved ice and I am hoping this recipe will bring them flooding back for you.
What is your favorite watermelon dessert?
Watermelon Granita Recipe
1) In a blender, add 2 cups of watermelon chunks (roughly chopped)
2) Add 1 cup of crushed ice
3) Add 1/4 cup of honeydew and 1/4 cup of cantaloupe. This is optional and add if you have them lying around
4) Add 1/2 cup of sugar. Depending on the sweetness of your watermelon, you can adjust the amount of the sugar. Add 2 tsp of freshly squeezed lime juice
5) Blend on low speed using the grind option
6) Grind it until it is all blended and in liquid form
7) Line a bread pan with parchment paper and transfer the watermelon liquid to it
8) Use a spoon and mix it well
9) Gently slam the pan to make sure that the liquid is even and any air bubbles are gone
10) Freeze for 4 hours
11) Remove from the freezer and use a ice cream scoop to “shave” the ice cream
Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately
Granita Recipe Using Fresh Watermelon
- 2 cups watermelon chunks roughly chopped
- 1 cup ice crushed
- 1/4 cup honeydew optional
- 1/4 cup cantaloupe optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lime juice
- In a blender, add watermelon chunks, crushed ice, honeydew and cantaloupe
- Add sugar (adjust based on the sweetness of your watermelon)
- Add the lime juice and blend on low speed until its liquid
- Line a bread pan with parchment paper and transfer the watermelon liquid to it
- Use a spoon and mix it well
- Gently slam the pan to make sure that the liquid is even and any air bubbles are gone
- Freeze for 4 hours
- Remove from the freezer and use a ice cream scoop to "shave" the ice cream
- Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately