Watermelon Salad With Arugula
Quick, Easy Portable Arugula and Watermelon Salad with Mozzarella Balls. I used a light pear dressing that can be taken to summer outdoor events.
Mozzarella and watermelon together!
Have you tried that combination? If not, this recipe is a perfect way to introduce your taste buds to it.
My pear salad dressing brings it all together and your taste buds will make you so happy.
This recipe was originally published on May 31, 10:42pm. I updated it with new video and changed a little bit of the text. Recipe remains the same.
💭 Tips for making this watermelon salad
– Use light greens only for this salad, like arugula (or maybe watercress too) because you don’t want it to overpower the melons in this salad
– If you are taking this to an outdoor event, don’t add the pear salad dressing until you are ready to serve it
– Use small mozzarella balls in this salad recipe that are nearly the same size as the watermelon itself. This way, the taste will be more even
– Refrigerate the salad after you assemble it. It will stay crispy and the greens will remain green
– If you added the pear dressing before serving, be sure to use it up within 24 hours
❤️ Why I love this salad
– It is low carb salad with NO OIL in it
– I made it with very little effort. 5 minutes to make the dressing and 3 minutes to assemble this watermelon salad dressing! That’s it.
– The salad is portable, so, I can even take it to work or if I am running errands all day. This salad can come with me and I don’t have to buy food when I get hungry
– I can sub it watermelon with any melon like cantaloupe or honeydew. I think honeydew would be perfect for this recipe.
– It is an easy salad to share with friends. I just make extra jars of it and hand them the jar. No sharing needed!
– Watermelon has so many benefits for my body. It has natural amounts of water in it, so, its a natural (and delicious) hydrater. See all its health benefits on Healthline.com
❓ Common questions when making this salad
Can I add tomatoes?
No, I don’t recommend adding tomatoes to this salad! (Clutch my pearls!, Did I just say that?!?!). I tried it with cherry tomatoes and it didn’t taste good. Watermelon and tomatoes are not combo, in my opinion. But, if you like it, then, go for it!
What can I serve with it?
I would serve it in a sweet pita bread recipe or you can serve it on a naan bread.
Need some summer drink recipes to go with this perfect seasonal dish? Try these!
Will Balsamic Reduction or vinegar work in this salad?
Balsamic reduction would be good for this salad. The only reason I don’t want to use it is because is because it has a strong flavor. It may overpower the subtle flavors of the salad.
How can I make this vegan?
You can skip the mozzarella cheese or try it with a vegan cheese of your choice. My preference would be to use no cheese at all
How do I choose a watermelon?
2 things I look for are (a) The watermelon is symmetrical and (b) The undercarriage has yellow spot. That was how I was taught to choose a watermelon a long time ago. Here is a link to WikiHow on the best way to select a watermelon.
How do I make the watermelon balls?
Use a melon baller to make the perfect melon balls. The tool I use is from Amazon (See below). It does an amazing job. Just place one side of the baller into the watermelon slice. Gently twist it and the perfect melon ball will be made!
🥗 What else can I add to this salad?
- Red Onions
- Feta cheese (Instead of Mozzarella)
- Goat Cheese (Instead of Mozzarella)
- Fresh basil (I used fresh Mint)
- Olives (Spanish olives will be perfect for it)
- Blueberries or any berries that you have on hand
- Bagel Chips (I added a few that were left over from my Spinach Salad)
🍉 More Watermelon Recipes For You To Try
- Watermelon Curry
- Watermelon Granita
- Grilled Watermelon Salad (Please excuse the images. This is a very old recipe)
- Vegan Arugula Salad
- Watermelon Lassi
🖨 Full Recipe
How to make a Watermelon Salad
For the Salad Dressing
For the Salad
- 2 cup arugula loosely packed
- 1 cup watermelon about 4 sliced watermelons that I got from the supermarket
- 1/2 cup mozzarella balls
- 6 leaves mint leaves optional
Make the Dressing
- In a blender, add all the ingredients (EXCEPT the poppy seeds)
- Blend on low speed until all is blended
- Add the poppy seeds and mix well, set aside
Assemble the salad
- Use a melon baller and make small balls out of the melon slices
- Place the arugula and mint in a bowl
- Add the watermelon and mozzarella balls to the bowl
- Drizzle the dressing, mix well and serve
If Using Mason Jars (2 mason jars)
- Add 1 cup of arugula per mason jar
- Divide the melon and mozzarella equally and add to each mason jar
- Use salad dressing containers and add about 2 Tbsp per container
- Tightly close the lids of this containers and place them in the mason jars
- Seal the mason jars and refrigerate until ready to use
- 2 Mason Jars
- Blender (to make the salad dressing)