Pickled Vegetables Using Leftover Veggies
Pickled vegetables are easy to make using cauliflower, peppers, fennel, onions, garlic and carrots. Put any veggies in a simple vinegar and oil brine
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 12 servings
For the Veggies
- 5 cauliflower florets cut into smaller pieces
- 1/2 green bell pepper cut into long strips
- 3 baby carrots cut into long strips
- 4 pearl onions cut into halves
- 1/2 fennel bulb cut into long strips
- 4 cloves garlic cut into halves
- 3 ginger cut into thin rounds
In a non-reactive pan, add 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
Add 1 cup of water
Add 1 Tbsp of sea salt
Add 1 cup of sugar
Bring it to a boil on medium heat and then turn off the heat.
Add yellow mustard seeds, peppercorns, red pepper flakes and dill
Set it aside to cool to room temperature
Place the remaining veggies in a 1 quart (32oz) wide mouth mason jar
When the liquid has cooled, slowly pour it over the veggies in the mason jar.
Top the jar with about 1/2 cup of vegetable oil.
Seal it and shake it well. Set it aside for about 24 hours
Refrigerate it and it will last for about 6 months in the fridge.
Nutrition Info is approximate
- When stirring the hot liquid, make sure you use a non-reactive spoon